Author Topic: 428 engine mount  (Read 4105 times)

Offline blackthunder70

428 engine mount
« on: January 27, 2015, 05:39:49 AM »
hi
removed my mounts
painted sg black
they had a couple of white dabs on oneunder the small l shape bracket
on the other one there was a green dot on the under side of the main bracket
the thing that puzzle me was that the 2 l bracket were plated gold cad (think thats the name)
when i undid the small bolt holding it to the main bracket
the exposed area looks like it was never paint or the paint was gone but the main pieces still had black paint on them
so should i paint the l brackets or leave them gold cad
the bolts were black plating
thanks
barry

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 428 engine mount
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 07:46:51 PM »
hi
removed my mounts
painted sg black
they had a couple of white dabs on oneunder the small l shape bracket
on the other one there was a green dot on the under side of the main bracket
the thing that puzzle me was that the 2 l bracket were plated gold cad (think thats the name)
when i undid the small bolt holding it to the main bracket
the exposed area looks like it was never paint or the paint was gone but the main pieces still had black paint on them
so should i paint the l brackets or leave them gold cad
the bolts were black plating
thanks
barry
In 69 the BB chassis brackets were bare steel in 70 they were painted black.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 07:59:50 PM »
Looked through my pictures and found about a half dozen 48 Dearborn built examples of unrestored car with black motor mount and a natural bolt on L bracket as shown in the picture below. Attached to the right side of the motor mount in the picture.

Clearest picture of the bunch. Looks like a little dirt/grease or rattle can overspray along the top edge

Never seen gold cad or zinc dichromate on these pieces
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:23:26 PM »
Looked through my pictures and found about a half dozen 48 Dearborn built examples of unrestored car with black motor mount and a natural bolt on L bracket as shown in the picture below. Attached to the right side of the motor mount in the picture.

Clearest picture of the bunch. Looks like a little dirt/grease or rattle can overspray along the top edge

Never seen gold cad or zinc dichromate on these pieces
Finally a reasonable finish is displayed. Bare steel should not have a "silver" finish as some restorer like to use. The raw material is darker than what is shown and probable comes in a fixed width roll to minimize waste or 10 to 20 foot bars with the same waste criteria. The manufacturing process involves a lot of oil to facilitate the bending process which will leave scratches from the dies. After welding (if required) the pieces are cleaned in a solvent, possibly tumbled to remove burrs and then lightly oiled to prevent rust. That's what you see here. I like to lightly phosphate bead blasted steel to get that finish.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline specialed

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:41:54 AM »
barry the way you described the 70 mounts are what I see from factory on Dearborn cars anyway & I have some nos dozz # small L brackets & they are the gold plating & you will find in 70 ford had a R or L stamped on them to id which side they were used on & 69 & earlier  bare steel had no ID

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 02:16:38 PM »
barry the way you described the 70 mounts are what I see from factory on Dearborn cars anyway & I have some nos dozz # small L brackets & they are the gold plating ........

Thanks Ed - if those pieces were dichromated or otherwise dyed that would explain why so few originals still retain the original look. Seems to be the first to go due to age and exposure. Best finish would be on the mating surface
Jeff Speegle

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 03:18:27 PM »
Jeff, what's the small bracket that's welded/riveted to the bottom of the top side of the mount and has the small screw/nut thru it. ?

Never saw that before....

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 04:29:24 PM »
Jeff, what's the small bracket that's welded/riveted to the bottom of the top side of the mount and has the small screw/nut thru it. ?

Never saw that before....

Because of the angle it looks like it might be attached to the mount but instead its attached to the lower a arm inner mounting point. It's the PS insulator bracket

Better angle for that item ;)

Note - Don't know if that shinny nut and bolt combination is original. Would guess no but sure Ed will know

Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 05:53:20 PM »
The shiny nut looks to be the Teflon/locking sort.  That's shiny with one n.  I checked it the old fashioned way.  Brian
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:16:29 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 08:46:14 PM »
Both 69 and 70 Chassis Assembly manuals show both the power steering hoses sub-assembled to the main hose bracket with retainer, insulator and screw installed, the old easy of assembly scenario, and therefore do not document the screw. However, in the For Car Parts Illustrated Section 36.4 page 5, the screw is indicated as 40923-S, 5/16-18X1/2in hex thread cutter screw. As this screw is common to other power steering applications, 64-67, and shown with a -S8 clear zinc finish you can assume it is the same for 69-70. Occasionally Ford keep the same parts for multiple years. The -S8 finish "may" be -S2, phosphate and oil, as that finish is used as well on other 40923-S screws. I got the screw p/n, you can figure out what finish you want.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 09:26:19 PM »
Looking at other 70 examples it appears that the bolt and nut are most likely a fix for a stripped out or lost original screw

No nut was used on the original installation

Looked through allot of pictures - best I could find - that at least shows size and length of that screw. From a 70 San Jose car if it makes any difference (don't think so in this case)

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:50:31 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline blackthunder70

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 09:33:01 PM »
hi
the car is a sans jose car
and yes the mating surface was the best sample of the gold finish
thank for the help
barry

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 09:41:16 PM »
It's the PS insulator bracket

That's what I thought, but it looked attached to the mount....

The screw and nut are definitely a later fix, I have an NOS bracket assy with the screw if someone wants some pic's of the right screw, It's from an NOS power steering kit shipped to the dealer in mid 1969, and matches the original one on my 70 exactly...

John