Author Topic: engine bay decals - Early 70 Dearborn  (Read 3926 times)

Offline rogerpir

engine bay decals - Early 70 Dearborn
« on: January 26, 2015, 12:31:30 AM »
This has probably been discussed previously but if so, I have not been able to find it on the search function. I have a Dearborn built 1970 Mach1 with a 428scj, 4speed ram air with a September, 1969 build date. Could someone tell me which decals go where for my engine and assembly plant? I am getting a lot of mixed up information on the web and resources as to which decals go where. Also,  which letters are correct for the cowl for Dearborn? Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:42:55 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: engine bay decals - Early 70 Dearborn
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:45:36 PM »
This has probably been discussed previously but if so, I have not been able to find it on the search function. I have a Dearborn built 1970 Mach1 with a 428scj, 4speed ram air with a September, 1969 build date. Could someone tell me which decals go where for my engine and assembly plant?...........

Did you purchase one of the "kits"?  And in turn did you buy those big rounded corner inspection decals? 

IF so your going to be ordering a few more decals before your ready to apply them :(

Will dig through my pictures and offer some help
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:25:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 06:50:26 PM »
This has probably been discussed previously but if so, I have not been able to find it on the search function. I have a Dearborn built 1970 Mach1 with a 428scj, 4speed ram air with a September, 1969 build date. Could someone tell me which decals go where for my engine and assembly plant? .......

Guessing that your car does not have the California vapor recovery system since you didn't mention it

Ok here are some pictures and info for you to consider.

First a repeat and continuation from the following thread
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5366.0

Battery Inspection

A couple of inspection sticker locations

From other early 70 Dearborn production

Service Instructions decal

Here is a shot of the overall engine compartment showing the location of the three inspection stickers (green, red & yellow) and the air cleaner element replacement decal (purple arrow)

Here is a closer look at a air cleaner element replacement decal (This example is not the one for a 428 car) but it does show that the decal you want includes the part number of the element rather than a generic decal some vendors sell

The engine ID label is barely visible on a completely assembled engine and you may choose to redo the ends of the reproduction label you receive to reproduce the original closer. Applied to the face of the passenger side head behind the thermactor pump on this original example . Same location as we normally see/find them on 68 & 69's also

Another example of the same location

Now the biggest hurtle seems to be the location of the inspection stickers and which sticker was located in which area.

Let me start another response to focus just on that

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:25:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline rogerpir

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 07:23:23 PM »
Thank you very, very much Jerry! Terrific pics! I haven't bought one of the kits as they seem to have a lot of decals I don't need. I think I will be buying individual decals. Thanks again for the pics. Very helpful!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:25:28 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
I am working on a 11/22/69 built Dearborn car and, based on these photos, it should have the service decal with "Rotunda" in the lower left corner?  Picture is fuzzy but that is what I think I see.

Jeff - can you (or anyone) confirm please?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:25:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 11:28:07 PM »
I am working on a 11/22/69 built Dearborn car and, based on these photos, it should have the service decal with "Rotunda" in the lower left corner?  Picture is fuzzy but that is what I think I see.

Looked through what I have and nothing that is that clear - apparently I have not focused my camera on that decal. You do see both versions used during the year (silver bottom rocker and the black bottom rocker)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:26:02 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 07:12:26 PM »

My early December Dearborn Q code 4sp has this decal, which I of course believe is original.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:25:37 PM by J_Speegle »
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 08:44:27 AM »
The silver bottom one looks more modern to me - based on the Autolite font - but there must have been a transition date somewhere in late 1969...??  I have a reference to a Nov. '69 car with the Rotunda black bottom.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 12:42:12 AM »
My late October Dearborn R code has the same decal as my December car.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:05:55 PM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is