Author Topic: Barn -- I mean garage find! 1970 CJ Mach 1  (Read 5118 times)

Offline blackjadeboss

Barn -- I mean garage find! 1970 CJ Mach 1
« on: January 19, 2015, 09:46:57 PM »
Was surfing craigslist about 6 weeks ago and stumbled over an ad for a survivor Mach 1.

R-Code, 4 speed and my favorite color--Calypso Coral. And -- 17k miles.

Talked to the gent briefly and decided to meet after the holidays. After some fanfare I got into the trailer where the car was being stored. It was one of the brutal low teen Fahrenheit evenings, and was thoroughly chilled after the visit. The situation where the car was wasn't conducive to viewing the vehicle.

Arranged for a thorough inspection that Saturday. Got in, under and on top of the Mach. A once shining star was relinquished to storage in a garage in central NJ because the owner had started a family. He never got back to the car, which was stored after some enthusiastic driving left the car with some motor issues. It remained there from 1976 until late2014.

Roll forward nearly 40 years and the car is made available for sale through Craigslist. I negotiated a fair deal for seller and I and came to take delivery that next Wednesday. I got the car home, and then to a friend who polished out the paint. Not quite what I would call survivor, but one damn cool car.

Will have the drivetrain out this weekend and will determine what I need to do to get this proud pony back up and running. I believe the block to be original to the car, and trans too, but with CJ's it is tougher to tell.  She is very original, and very nice considering the original owners penchant for having fun and going fast.  Will post some pics on a share that all can view shortly.

I have collected distributor, exhaust manifolds and just need to gather a shaker and the power steering stuff. I will get this beast back together shortly and look forward to getting it to Carlisle, or SAAC end of summer. Thanks to my friends Bob Henning and Kerry Wortman  for helping with information and parts. She did have the original carb, valve covers, and some other hard find items. Like the battery heat shield. Go figure-no dizzie but has the heat shield.

Going to run some 70 style Magnums and Radial T/A's ('cause I have them like the look) and will get this bad boy out for all to see. How many original looking, original paint cars are making it to cruise nights these days? Not sure, but add one more.

Great car the original owner really cared for (as evidenced by the super straight body and perfect interior) but also used a CJ for what they were intended, having fun and going fast.

As point of interest; about 15 months ago I saw a note for a CC Boss 302 posted by Tom Gilliam on the Boss site. Long story short Tom graciously helped an original Boss owner car up for sale that happened to exactly what I was looking for at the time; a flat hood Boss 302 in need of some attention. The car was even better than I expected and the Boss is close to being back on its four tires and on its way to a concourse restoration. More to it than that, but that is for another day.

The CJ will be fast on the Boss's heels and will be rolling very soon.

Look for pics as I post and get closer.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:50:09 PM by blackjadeboss »

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
Re: Barn -- I mean garage find! 1970 CJ Mach 1
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 12:09:35 AM »
Awesome!  Good luck!  I'm in NJ and its good to see that there are still some awesome local finds out there.  Saw an unrestored 68 Shelby on Craigslist about a month ago in Newtown, PA.  Guy was asking about $45,000 IIRC.  Car looked to be in decent condition.  The ad came down in about 2 days.
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 12:13:42 AM »
I heard about the 68 CL ad then it was gone.  Wonder if it was real?
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 12:52:35 AM »
Awesome!  Good luck!  I'm in NJ and its good to see that there are still some awesome local finds out there.  Saw an unrestored 68 Shelby on Craigslist about a month ago in Newtown, PA.  Guy was asking about $45,000 IIRC.  Car looked to be in decent condition.  The ad came down in about 2 days.
He is posting about buying  it and getting info on parts needed over on the SAAC forum.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 01:23:14 AM »
I heard about the 68 CL ad then it was gone.  Wonder if it was real?

I saw the pics and it looked legit right down to the Shelby VIN plate.  The paint and interior were tired but I would have been there to check it out in an instant if I had $45,000 to spare. 

He is posting about buying  it and getting info on parts needed over on the SAAC forum.

Warms my heart that good people find good cars! 

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 02:08:20 AM »
Keith....very nice story on the 70 Mach 1.  Looking forward to seeing some pictures on what you found out there...
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline rodster

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 07:41:02 PM »
I saw the pics and it looked legit right down to the Shelby VIN plate.  The paint and interior were tired but I would have been there to check it out in an instant if I had $45,000 to spare. 

Warms my heart that good people find good cars!

What was it, 350, 500, KR?  Color? I saw on the SAAC forums a 68 350 Hertz was uncovered.  Very cool too!
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 09:06:25 PM »
IIRC it was a 350.  Paint was blue.

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 05:03:10 PM »
Would love to see some pics from when you bought the Calypso Coral mach 1 !!!

I saw the craigslst ad. IIRC he was asking $100k.

Offline blackjadeboss

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 10:03:34 AM »
He was asking that amount. We settled south of that :-)

PM me an email.

Offline mwizz

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 10:10:09 AM »
Sounds great, can't wait for the pics

Offline blackjadeboss

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 09:51:10 PM »
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=279;u=365

That is at a friends place who clean up the paint abit. The rear bumper was pretty ugly, replacing it with a nicely patina'ed original.

Good news--original block is fine, engine on its way back to running.

Also collected all the parts to get it back to stock and on the road.

There is literally ZERO rust in this car. Crazy for a NJ car.

Good stuff.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 08:33:02 PM by blackjadeboss »

Offline mwizz

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 08:06:56 AM »
Thanks for the pics, car looks great

Offline Smokey 15

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 11:12:46 AM »
 And the naysayers say there are no more undiscovered treasures. Love it when they are proven wrong. Very nice car. Great that it needs zero paint from scratches, etc.  Thanks for sharing text and pics.

Offline mwizz

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 08:56:24 AM »
I am hoping that one day I will experience this type of find