Author Topic: 67 390 belt routing - pulley ID  (Read 6429 times)

Offline CandyAppleRed

67 390 belt routing - pulley ID
« on: January 12, 2015, 12:16:45 PM »
Hello,

I searched about this topic through older threads but couldn't find an answer regarding my setup.

What is the correct belt routing on a May 67 390 Dearborn car with power steering (no A/C, no T/E)?

Is it correct that the alternator has a single belt going around the crank pully and the the water pump pulley?

The power steering pump belt goes only around the crank pulley?

thanks

Laurent
1967 Fastback 390 GTA Dearborn May 67 7F02S201072 (stolen)
1967 Fastback 390 GT San Jose Nov 66

Offline rodster

Re: 67 390 belt routing - pulley ID
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 01:03:27 PM »
That's the way it is on my 67 390.
Rod
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline CandyAppleRed

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 02:50:47 PM »
thank you for your answer.

This is also consistent with the Master Parts Catalog. I'm still a little confused reagrding the crank pulley. Should it be a single sheeve balancer with a bolt on pulley (for the P/S pump belt)?
If yes, does anybody has part numbers for these pulleys (balance and bolt on pulley)?

cheers
Laurent
1967 Fastback 390 GTA Dearborn May 67 7F02S201072 (stolen)
1967 Fastback 390 GT San Jose Nov 66

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 03:37:55 PM »
thank you for your answer.

This is also consistent with the Master Parts Catalog. I'm still a little confused reagrding the crank pulley. Should it be a single sheeve balancer with a bolt on pulley (for the P/S pump belt)?
If yes, does anybody has part numbers for these pulleys (balance and bolt on pulley)?

cheers
Laurent
I have a excellent condition non pitted  C4AE-B 67 390 balancer  date stamped A7 (Jan 67) for 50.00 plus shipping if anyone needs one .
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 03:40:24 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 12:02:34 PM »
I also had a question on belt routing. Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not. I have a Dec. build  390 with P/S and thremactor system and no A/C. I received my belts to install and I noticed they won't fit unless I put a single pulley on the Altenater. Currently I have a dual pulley, am I supposed to have a dual or single pulley?

Thanks for all your help,
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 02:08:21 PM »
I also had a question on belt routing. Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not. I have a Dec. build  390 with P/S and thremactor system and no A/C. I received my belts to install and I noticed they won't fit unless I put a single pulley on the Altenater. Currently I have a dual pulley, am I supposed to have a dual or single pulley?

Thanks for all your help,
I don't believe that if you had thermactor or A/C or both on a BB that you would use a double Alternator pulley . Single is what works.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 02:37:12 PM »
I've been seeing a few old pulled BB with a dual pulley Alt. but only one pulley is in use. So would that be correct to do instead of installing a single pulley?

Thanks again,
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 03:20:34 PM »
I've been seeing a few old pulled BB with a dual pulley Alt. but only one pulley is in use. So would that be correct to do instead of installing a single pulley?

Thanks again,
  With that kind of logic or assumption there would only be the duel pulley regardless if needed or not in every application.  If the examples you saw were in the context of a air or thermactor car I would think they had been replaced or a anomoly. If they were not in that context then they would be irrelevant to the discussion. Ford is not in the habit of using a more expensive part (duel pulley fractions of a cent more no doubt) when a more viable less expensive engineered part is available .

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 04:49:29 PM »
  With that kind of logic or assumption there would only be the duel pulley regardless if needed or not in every application.  If the examples you saw were in the context of a air or thermactor car I would think they had been replaced or a anomoly. If they were not in that context then they would be irrelevant to the discussion. Ford is not in the habit of using a more expensive part (duel pulley fractions of a cent more no doubt) when a more viable less expensive engineered part is available .
A dual (I'm not going to fight a duel about it) pulley was used on a lot (it's two words Jeff) of rebuilt alternators. The auto parts store (Kragans - now O'Reilly's) manager and I checked inventory and most had dual pulleys. The auto parts store manager let me take my core home to make the swap. When I returned the core, he said he checked with the company that did the rebuilds and they confirmed that they replaced single pulleys with double when the single was damaged, from habit or it was convenient (less stocking inventory). 
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 05:01:44 PM »
I also had a question on belt routing. Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not. I have a Dec. build  390 with P/S and thermactor system and no A/C. I received my belts to install and I noticed they won't fit unless I put a single pulley on the Alternator. Currently I have a dual pulley, am I supposed to have a dual or single pulley?

Not sure what is getting in your way or the problem

Think I might have posted this picture before

67 Thermactor with PS  wo/AC alternator belt arrangement which matches the Ford diagrams for the same application - as discussed before

Can you describe in some way why they will not fit?  Maybe its the pulleys at the crank and water pump or even the thermactor that are causing the issues
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 06:47:46 PM »
Here's some pics on the problems I'm having with my motor. I might have a wrong pulley and/or brackets. I might even have sent me the wrong altenator belts, as you can see they're the wrong size if everything else seems correct.

Thanks for all the help,
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 06:51:43 PM by travnemi »
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 10:52:04 PM »
Your P/S pulley is misaligned. It needs to go on the second groove around the crank and the waterpump.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 11:05:39 PM »
Your P/S pulley is misaligned. It needs to go on the second groove around the crank and the waterpump.
Actually that P/S  pulley you have  is one for a A/C car. I am not sure the correct one for a 390 but the offset on a non air car pulley is forward. 6AA is 68 390 . 7AB is 67 GT500 ,all offset to the outside.  FYI you also have the wrong heater hose fitting at the waterpump. 67 BB only. Mansfield has them.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 01:37:15 PM »
Per the MPC, you need an "AG", C5AZ-G.

Update: added photo (from mustangtek.com).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:10:20 PM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 01:57:15 PM »
Per the MPC, you need an "AG", C5AZ-G.
Thank you for looking that up . That is the other pulley I couldn't remember.