Author Topic: 1966 MY Convertible Top (December 1965 Build)  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Building 3

1966 MY Convertible Top (December 1965 Build)
« on: January 04, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
I have used the search function to gather information on the proper convertible top material and locate the best supplier for the top. (Lots of info in 498 postings on 17 pages) While I have found a great deal of useful information, there seems to be no consensus as to which company makes the most correct top for the Concours Class. Just to make sure I have the bases covered, am I correct in saying that the proper convertible top should have the following characteristics:

Haartz pinpoint vinyl is the top material
The binding and the front windroll should be crushed grain vinyl and not pinpoint
For a white Top, the "Ford White" should be specified as it is different than the industry "white"
Is "Singletex" or "Doubletex" more correct?

The zipper must be brass and it should open from the driver's side
The zipper should have a leather tang attached to it
Sometime in the 1965 MY a snap & strap were added  This aided in holding the rear curtain up in the center to make zipping and unzipping easier. The rear bow has a hole for the snap and the rear curtain has the strap. Do we have an approximate date that this change was made?

On the bow just prior to the rear curtain, a 2-piece soft plastic cover that folds over is needed to hide the staples. NPD sells the correct piece.
There is a chrome arrow at the end of this plastic piece. Some have a rounded end and others a sharper point. When was the change-over date?

I saw no postings for any supplier that makes a correct date coded rear plastic window.  Does anyone make a Concours correct rear plastic window?

Is there anything else to consider before purchasing a convertible top?

Which of the suppliers comes closest to a concours correct top as describes above if I have the facts in order?
ARO
Kee
Robbins
Electron
EZ-ON

Thank you!

1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline NEFaurora

Re: 1966 MY Convertible Top (December 1965 Build)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 10:39:37 PM »

From what I know, The ones that you mentioned are all good, But I have heard Electron tops are the best with their brass zippers.   I am also following this thread to see what others have to say.

http://www.electrontop.com/catalog.html

I am not familiar with the ARO brand...but I know all the others.

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Building 3

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 02:29:15 PM »
I called up all five suppliers.  I received consistent answers from all of them on: they all use the same Haartz Singletex Pinpoint vinyl material in Ford White, Doubletex was the original material, but it is either not available or too expensive to use, they all can provide the brass zipper. 

Also, some can provide the strap & snap that were on later cars, some sell retail, some don't.  ARO was the original supplier to Ford for convertible tops during this timeframe. 

Would anyone else like to chime in on their experiences with any of these suppliers, and any "do's or don'ts" that we should know about?
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »
I called up all five suppliers.  I received consistent answers from all of them on: they all use the same Haartz Singletex Pinpoint vinyl material in Ford White, Doubletex was the original material, but it is either not available or too expensive to use, they all can provide the brass zipper. 

Also, some can provide the strap & snap that were on later cars, some sell retail, some don't.  ARO was the original supplier to Ford for convertible tops during this timeframe. 

Would anyone else like to chime in on their experiences with any of these suppliers, and any "do's or don'ts" that we should know about?

I mentioned to the guys putting the top on my '65 that I started to go with the Robbins top, but didn't because of the plastic zipper.  The installer said that he had installed several Robbins tops on Mustangs, and actually preferred the fit of the EZ-On top. He also mentioned that most manufacturers had switched to a plastic zipper because it was simply a better design, and didn't stick or bind up like the brass zippers were prone to do.
Too much junk, too little time.