Author Topic: 67 Coupe Tailight Harnesses  (Read 2904 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
67 Coupe Tailight Harnesses
« on: January 01, 2015, 11:17:32 AM »
I will most likely be purchasing a replacement harness for my coupe. All the frayed wrap and the Imron polyurethane paint (from a repaint) discourage me from wishing to clean up the original harness. I would simply wish to purchase the most correct harness for my application but I have at least one question about "correctness".

My understanding is that ALLOY METALS is the best product line available at this time and unless further discussion here suggests otherwise, I would be ordering one soon enough. The problem I have found in various vendors catalogs and/or sites,  is that some vendors list the taillight wiring harness as the same as the Convertibles while other vendors list the Coupe harness as the same as the Fastback cars.

My example has the low fuel warning light (optional,part of the Convenience Control Panel) so what would be the correct harness to order?

My thoughts are that it should be the same as the convertible cars since the convertible power top wiring was optional, therefore I believe it was a separate harness.  Since fastbacks had the sail panel courtesy lights, wouldn't those be "fastback only" since only the coupe without a roof console would have a center roof mounted courtesy light? My example has the roof console (deluxe interior) so for me, it matters not if the harness is with or without provision for any courtesy light within the taillight harness.

The only other discussion I have found at this site is found here:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7490.msg42667#msg42667

These images and some discussion in that thread help out a lot but these questions (above, written in red) is not answered there since the pictures are of a convertible without low fuel indicator.

Thanks! ...and again, Happy New Year

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

Re: 67 Coupe Tailight Harnesses
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »
Richard,

Assuming you are asking about part 14405, attached is a picture from the Jan 67 MPC.

I think that the "safety package" refers to the convenience control option.  Nothing else would make sense.

Also attached is the drawing showing convertible top related wiring.

Does this help?
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 12:06:30 PM »
Richard,

Assuming you are asking about part 14405, attached is a picture from the Jan 67 MPC.

I think that the "safety package" refers to the convenience control option.  Nothing else would make sense.

Also attached is the drawing showing convertible top related wiring.

Does this help?

JOHN: Yes, some help. I have a 65B body code= Hardtop (Coupe) with Deluxe Interior (Decor')
Part number would be C7ZZ-14405-C and therefore the same as as the convertible cars, correct?

Curiousity: What are the prefix codes (A or F) in the MP catalog? (e.g.: A (54,57,62,76)-with safety package and F (65,76)-with safety package

It would also help if anybody knew how to convert this to Alloy Metals numbering system.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 12:14:42 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 12:39:07 PM »
A = full size Ford, F = Mustang.  Refer to the attached picture.

Part number would be C7ZZ-14405-C and therefore the same as as the convertible cars, correct? - That is the way I would interpret the MPC.

Looks like all models are the same without convenience control.  With convenience control, the coupe (65) and convertible (76) usee the same part, while the fastback (63) was different.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 12:50:44 PM »
Looking at the Alloy harnesses on the CJ site, it looks like they have five versions:

AMP Taillight Wiring Harness With Low Fuel Warning Convertible 1967
AMP Taillight Wiring Harness With Low Fuel Warning Coupe/Fastback 1967

AMP Taillight Wiring Harness Without Low Fuel Warning Coupe/Convertible With Taillight Sockets 1967
AMP Taillight Wiring Harness Without Low Fuel Warning Convertible 1967
AMP Taillight Wiring Harness Without Low Fuel Warning Coupe/Fastback 1967

I see your frustration - the Ford MPC says that coupe/vert is the same.

I think you might have to call the manufacturer and get into the details.  There is not enough information on the CJ web site to get to the bottom of the issue.

This is what I found:
Alloy Metal Products

Alloy Metal Products LLC,
193 Us Route 11
Central Square, NY 13036 - View Map

Phone: (315) 676-2405
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 01:19:57 PM »
Looking at the Alloy harnesses on the CJ site, it looks like they have five versions:

AMP Taillight Wiring Harness With Low Fuel Warning Convertible 1967
AMP Taillight Wiring Harness With Low Fuel Warning Coupe/Fastback 1967

AMP Taillight Wiring Harness Without Low Fuel Warning Coupe/Convertible With Taillight Sockets 1967
AMP Taillight Wiring Harness Without Low Fuel Warning Convertible 1967
AMP Taillight Wiring Harness Without Low Fuel Warning Coupe/Fastback 1967

I see your frustration - the Ford MPC says that coupe/vert is the same.

I think you might have to call the manufacturer and get into the details.  There is not enough information on the CJ web site to get to the bottom of the issue.

This is what I found:
Alloy Metal Products

Alloy Metal Products LLC,
193 Us Route 11
Central Square, NY 13036 - View Map

Phone: (315) 676-2405

Probably a good idea to contact the manufacturer (A.M.) but maybe the differences are in fact about whether or not a connection for the courtesy light is included in the "safety package" equipped versions ONLY of the harnesses. A convertible or Coupe (coupe with a roof console) car could use the same harness without any trouble but a fastback or coupe with the roof dome light could use the same, right? I wouldn't know either way since I have no convertible example, no fastback example nor a coupe with a standard interior example to compare anything. My suspicion is that they can all use the version of wiring harness than includes the dome light wire, just would leave that disconnected on cars not needing to use it (e.g.: The image of the "unknown wire"  seen in the image located in the other thread I referred to in the initial post) That wire (in the other post) was labled as "unknown" but again, this was for an example WITHOUT the safety package AND was stated as out of a convertible which, according to the MPC, is correct for all 3 body types if no safety package is on the car..

Richard
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 01:22:41 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 02:21:06 PM »
maybe the differences are in fact about whether or not a connection for the courtesy light is included in the "safety package" equipped versions ONLY of the harnesses. A convertible or Coupe (coupe with a roof console) car could use the same harness without any trouble but a fastback or coupe with the roof dome light could use the same, right? I wouldn't know either way since I have no convertible example, no fastback example nor a coupe with a standard interior example to compare anything. My suspicion is that they can all use the version of wiring harness than includes the dome light wire, just would leave that disconnected on cars not needing to use it (e.g.: The image of the "unknown wire"  seen in the image located in the other thread I referred to in the initial post) That wire (in the other post) was labled as "unknown" but again, this was for an example WITHOUT the safety package AND was stated as out of a convertible which, according to the MPC, is correct for all 3 body types if no safety package is on the car..

I think that perhaps the focus on the interior lighting is not pertinent.  Two reasons: (1) The base 14405 of the MPC states that it is good for all three body styles, (2) the alternate 14405's (two total) are related to "safety" (which as I stated previously is probably convenience control), and not lighting.

There is no mention of interior lighting. 

To have unused lighting connectors behind a panel for a coupe with no overhead light, and for a convertible, is not really a problem.
I do recall looking at some dome light coupes and the main harness connection for the light, compared to the overhead console, is the same as you speculated.

Perhaps A.M. leaves out the dome/overhead console wire in their convertible versions.  It looks like that would not be technically correct, but would not hurt nor be noticed.

To me the question is - what is the difference between the FB and others for the convenience control option.  All I could think of is where the fuel level sending unit wire comes off main harness - might be in a different location?

I think you will be looking at this: AMP Taillight Wiring Harness With Low Fuel Warning Coupe/Fastback 1967
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 03:51:19 PM »

Perhaps A.M. leaves out the dome/overhead console wire in their convertible versions.  It looks like that would not be technically correct, but would not hurt nor be noticed.

To me the question is - what is the difference between the FB and others for the convenience control option.  All I could think of is where the fuel level sending unit wire comes off main harness - might be in a different location?

I think you will be looking at this: AMP Taillight Wiring Harness With Low Fuel Warning Coupe/Fastback 1967

I think we closely agree, but not completely. YES, I will likely buy that description from AM.
It does make perfect sense that all three body styles would use the same BASIC harness on cars without the safety (convenience) option. What isn't clear is what is different on fastbacks from the coupe/convertible when you consider that the basic harness isn't any different. Basically, why then are two different harnesses made? That much we agree on.

As far as the 12V constant supply to the overhead console, THAT 12V constant supply comes from the area of the passengers side door jam switch and travels along the passengers side rocker panel groove (under the sill plate) and up along the sail panel to the roof. (I am sure of this, at least on my coupe). The 12V supply could not come from the taillight harness because that wire would be switched through the door jam switches for the two dome lights on the fastback 1/4 trim dome lights or the coupes ceiling mounted dome light (at least that is my understand anyways from memory)

The convenience or safety option low fuel wiring has a two connector disconnect just as it leaves the taillight harness. One wire for the gauge, the other wire feeds to the low fuel circuit. On a car without this option, the fuel gauge wire (single wire) does not have a disconnect where it enters the taillight main harness...correct?
Richard Urch

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 05:24:10 PM »
As far as the 12V constant supply to the overhead console, THAT 12V constant supply comes from the area of the passengers side door jam switch and travels along the passengers side rocker panel groove (under the sill plate) and up along the sail panel to the roof. (I am sure of this, at least on my coupe). The 12V supply could not come from the taillight harness because that wire would be switched through the door jam switches for the two dome lights on the fastback 1/4 trim dome lights or the coupes ceiling mounted dome light (at least that is my understand anyways from memory)
Yes you are correct - I was thinking more of the fastback driver's side rear seat side light.  I think that is fed from the tail light harness and only has a purpose in the FB.  But I would need to look at drawings or pictures to be sure of that.

The convenience or safety option low fuel wiring has a two connector disconnect just as it leaves the taillight harness. One wire for the gauge, the other wire feeds to the low fuel circuit. On a car without this option, the fuel gauge wire (single wire) does not have a disconnect where it enters the taillight main harness...correct?
Correct.

Plus for completeness a car with the trunk light option - that is a separate "single wire" harness routed with and taped to the tail light harness.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 07:08:16 PM »
Yes you are correct - I was thinking more of the fastback driver's side rear seat side light.  I think that is fed from the tail light harness and only has a purpose in the FB. 

Yes, that is why I wondered if this was perhaps why the fastback wiring was a different harness, at least on the "convenience" optioned vehicles. Hence some of the confusion.

Plus for completeness a car with the trunk light option - that is a separate "single wire" harness routed with and taped to the tail light harness.

Agreed, and if you go to the images in the aforementioned thread, you will see that detail in the images there. It might answer some other questions previously, in other threads, asked about trunk lamp wiring.  :o
Richard Urch

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 09:56:35 PM »
I'm no expert on 67 tail-lights, but I have run across several of them in my business.  First off, if you have a low fuel sensor system, that requires a completely separate harness with an extra wire than the standard system.  The posts above make that clear, as does the AMP product line.

67gtaSanJose is correct that for the coupe dome light, the harness for that plugs into the passenger side plug of the main harness, routes under the door sill, up through the sail panel to the roof and is completely separate from the tail-light harness.

I believe that there are fastback versions of the tail-light harness (every other year has this feature) of an additional blue/black wire that ends up on a female bullet near the fastback sail panel.  From there, a separate harness plugs into the driver's side sail light and runs behind the rear window to the passenger side.  Each side of this separate harness has a grounding lug as well.  What's unique about the fastback tail-light harness is this provision for the sail lights.

What makes sense is that the coupe/convertible tail-light harness are probably the same and the fastback is different.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com