Author Topic: Original '65 Low Profile Rally Pac Rebuild / Repair  (Read 2601 times)

Offline rocket289k

Original '65 Low Profile Rally Pac Rebuild / Repair
« on: December 23, 2014, 02:59:22 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for someone to repair / rebuild the clock on my original low profile '65 rally pac. The contacts on the winding mechanism are worn out and pretty pitted and the clock likely needs a good cleaning and oiling. I don't want to do a quartz conversion as I really do appreciate a "ticking" clock in a classic car which you almost never see these days. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I contacted Bob McMullen @ Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations and he confirmed that he provides rally pac clock servicing.  However, before I proceed I'd like see if anyone here has someone they've had a good experience with someone who repaired / rebuilt their rally pac clock.  I did a search on the site and came up empty handed. 

Regards,

Ron

1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline jwc66k

Re: Original '65 Low Profile Rally Pac Rebuild / Repair
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 04:12:38 PM »
"Do you know how to tell an original Rally Pac from a reproduction?
"The clock don't work."
That's what you hear at swap meets.
Consider this, they are 48-49 years old. There are two problems with the clocks that happen over time, the bearing points fail (the moving parts, gears or springs pop out) or the points arc over. I got seven 65-67 clocks from a friend who was liquidating a local Mustang Shop's inventory. One had the bearing problem and I couldn't fix it. On the others, I used some small burnishing tools and cleaned up the contacts. The process is somewhat difficult and tedious due to the small size and limited access to the internals. The final operational test was 24 hours on a battery. I adjusted the time advance/retard also. I needed to touch up one. Of the six remaining, five were sold on e-bay, I kept one of the 65-66 types for myself as payment. The point is, it can be done.
Jim   
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 04:36:09 PM »
I used a guy in TN a few years ago and it was a painful experience and I would not do that again.  I determined at the time that if all else failed and I had to send it elsewhere, I would use Phidon.  However, I have not used them so can't personally vouch for them.

http://www.phidonrestorations.com/services.php
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:15:32 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for someone to repair / rebuild the clock on my original low profile '65 rally pac. The contacts on the winding mechanism are worn out and pretty pitted and the clock likely needs a good cleaning and oiling. I don't want to do a quartz conversion as I really do appreciate a "ticking" clock in a classic car which you almost never see these days. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I contacted Bob McMullen @ Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations and he confirmed that he provides rally pac clock servicing.  However, before I proceed I'd like see if anyone here has someone they've had a good experience with someone who repaired / rebuilt their rally pac clock.  I did a search on the site and came up empty handed. 

Regards,

Ron

I'm like you in that I really like a ticking clock. I've had some luck with just filing the points and lubing the clock and they've worked. I guess that I'm just lucky.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 09:30:06 PM »
I used a guy in TN a few years ago and it was a painful experience and I would not do that again.  I determined at the time that if all else failed and I had to send it elsewhere, I would use Phidon.  However, I have not used them so can't personally vouch for them.

http://www.phidonrestorations.com/services.php
I've dealt with Phil several times with his wiring harnesses, but not his services.  Talking to him on the phone, he seems like a real up-front and honest guy, who wants to help out the hobbyist.  He's one of the few out there other than the Tachman that deals with our Faria tachs as well.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 09:55:25 PM »
My understanding has been that Tachman only converts Faria tachs to quartz and does not restore to original.  Correct me please if I am mistaken.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 08:36:39 AM »
My understanding has been that Tachman only converts Faria tachs to quartz and does not restore to original.  Correct me please if I am mistaken.

I believe he converts the rally pac clocks to quartz movements.  I am unaware of any tach quartz conversions.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 11:30:24 AM »
Yes, poor thinking on my part.  He might do the Faria tachs like original but I would confirm first.  I have had good success with Tachman on repairing the later (1969) tachs.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 04:34:47 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input. I've been offline for a few days. Once I figure out how I'm going to proceed I'll give you guys an update.

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open