Author Topic: Steering column installation  (Read 1050 times)

Offline krustie

Steering column installation
« on: December 25, 2014, 08:33:53 AM »
Hi, my first post!   I am putting together my 66 hardtop, and am scratching my head over fitting the outer steering column.   The shaft from rubber damper to end is 36 inches.   The outer column is 35 inches.  But I need the shaft to stick out another 3/4 inch or so to accommodate the steering wheel and nut.   I've had the column apart to install new wiring, but it all appears to be back together correctly.  Is it possible to reassemble that incorrectly, didn't seem so to me, but it must be wrong somehow?    Note, in the photo the plastic bushing is shown displaced outwards, it easily pushes in.    Thanks for any help, I am probably missing something terribly obvious.  And yes, the painter got a bit carried away with painting the column...

Offline MyRed66GT

Re: Steering column installation
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 09:58:39 AM »
Looks like you've got two of the rubber bushings installed at the bottom of the column to the steering box. Should only have one...

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 01:15:04 PM »
Yup, two bushings (officially called an insulator), remove one and all will be revealed. Also, the steering column is supposed to be painted dash color for the entire length, your painter needs to do a touch up at the bottom.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline krustie

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 05:54:01 PM »
Yes thanks a lot (red face...).   It's what happens when a restoration takes 10 years, I bought a new bushing ages ago and left it on the shaft in the car so not to lose it then forgot to take the old one off the column, thought they were two different pieces.   All is OK now.