Author Topic: 70 Dearborn radiator support seal photos needed  (Read 11326 times)

Online specialed

Re: 70 Dearborn Radiator to Hood Seal
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 02:36:34 AM »
imagine that me AGAIN   well with the most cj mustangs & cougars made in Dearborn in 1970 I would think there are many 70 cj guys wanting to know if seal was used as the clips with seal are easly removed unlike typical 69 with the staples used that stay on longer. The assembly manual doesn't cover this issue so you have to go by what cars are  left out there unmolested. We are working on the 4th 70 dearborn cj convertible in shop & none of them had the rubber seal on them so has anybody seen the seal used on 70 cj coupes or convertibles or does it have anything to do with factory a/c with or without shaker as I have seen under hood pad used on Q-code a/c cars
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:18:30 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 08:40:58 PM »
Yes agreed Ed 70 seems to be a very confusing year for the application/usage of the radiator support to hood seal. Have not been able to identify any pattern like what we see in earlier years. This is compounded by the lack of evidence left by the installation unlike earlier years.

Not allot of examples but it appears (if you can draw a conclusion from these) that they started out with the staples then went to the clips.

0F10005x seal

0F1214xx seal

0F1631xx seal

0F181xxx seal

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline blackjadeboss

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 10:39:45 PM »
My September build 70 Metuchen CJ has staples and is the shorter version.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:05:04 PM by blackjadeboss »

Online specialed

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 01:18:39 PM »
Thanks jeff & it looks like ford started out with long stapled version looking at early serial #s then the short clipped on version on later serial #s  Your 4 pics show 3 b2s & third pic is our old red cj mach1 that came from northern Canada & had the engine block heater installed from new  & being a 70 mach1 it had the twist down hood pins so only the short version would work & it was a shaker.  So did ford go to the short clip on version in mid70 production for 1 size fits all so it workson mach1s as well & installing the short clip on version would be faster on the line than stapled long version or did short version work better around radiator area & let cool air in around battery & sides of engine.  Remember ford went to the rounded curved outward lip doob battery heat shield in fall of 69 as that type routes more air into & around the battery case from the grill area to cool battery.  Either way the only way wecan document this is from original unmolested cars & not being stapled on in later 70 production makes it harder to doc since these rubber strips with clips are easly removed by past owners & so many versions built A/C vs shaker vs mach1 twist pins  b2s vs cjs  & what about cougars built along side of mustangs in 70 Dearborn plant as well. If you look at jeffs pictures the last pic is a later built 70 b2 short seal vs early built 70 b2 with long seals in first 2 pics & b2s never had hood locks so the short version isn't just a mach1 hood lock thing.  Oh well the search goes on  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 01:27:21 PM by specialed »

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 11:34:59 PM »
I remember talking to Allen Cross about this years ago, and he said the seal was FE only as far as the years 69/70 are concerned.
Since that time, the cars I've seen concur with that.
I have an NOS seal C4DZ-16A238-A, and it's approx 34 11/16" long, as well as a used one with staple holes.
AFAIK, there's only one version, so any chopping shorter would be done on the line.
The clips used elsewhere than San Jose are just common electrical clips.
I remember posting about them here a long time ago, and all of a sudden they were showing up on eBay for way too much money.
I guess somebody trolling here is slinging parts.
They're in the AMK catalog olive drab B-13428 or olive drab with half rubber covering B-10726 for a couple of bucks each, so don't spend too much people.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 11:46:19 PM »
I remember talking to Allen Cross about this years ago, and he said the seal was FE only as far as the years 69/70 are concerned.
Since that time, the cars I've seen concur with that.

Got to disagree - a number of the pictures above are not from FE applications. Other 69-70 application include some Boss 302's and 351 cars. Guessing we could post allot of original examples of this - but this thread is not the place

The clips used elsewhere than San Jose are just common electrical clips.
........... They're in the AMK catalog olive drab B-13428 or olive drab with half rubber covering B-10726 for a couple of bucks each, so don't spend too much people.

Think you missed spoke - the discussion is Dearborn and the clips above were not used at San Jose for that purpose - very different. Agree the Dearborn clips that were used are fairly common electrical clips
Jeff Speegle

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 03:33:11 PM »
Think you missed spoke - the discussion is Dearborn and the clips above were not used at San Jose for that purpose - very different. Agree the Dearborn clips that were used are fairly common electrical clips

Just to clarify, "elsewhere than San Jose" meaning Dearborn or Metuchen
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 05:55:01 PM »
Just to clarify, "elsewhere than San Jose" meaning Dearborn or Metuchen

Thanks  for the clarification
Jeff Speegle