Author Topic: 1970 Mustang Fastback Roof Rail Weather Stripping.  (Read 5694 times)

Offline RHarden

Re: 1970 Mustang Fastback Roof Rail Weather Stripping.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 02:37:24 PM »
I see the boot too. It should be easy to get back in place just by removing a few screws.

Offline RHarden

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »
I talked to Daniel carpenter years ago about his poor fitting 69 roofrail weatherstripping & he admitted they were bad & one of the first parts he made when he got started but he has made good parts from examples I sent him over the years & he has much better equipment & tooling now & good quality control. Daniel is a great guy & cares about getting parts made right but he has to have a good partin great condition as an example to make it right.     Brian in your pic of your red car the quarter window pivet chrome shaft has a small square rubber boot that fits on top of the side panel square cutout (look at pic of blue car in this post) just p ointing this out as I see this onmany cars either from being taken apart & not reinstalled correctly or from someone cleaning car & pushing down on the boot & easily knocked out of place & some may have left factory that way if worker got in a hurry & didn't line up boot in slot opening when rear panel installed.

I don't mean to bad mouth Daniel Carpenter and his parts. It's just that a part that can only cost around $100.00, like the roof rail weather stripping, can make a classic Mustang restoration a headache. These aren't the only issues I have run into and I'm sure many of these were not made by DC. I have talked to Chevy guys restoring Chevy's and they don't seem to have many issues with repop parts. Maybe they aren't as fussy as Ford guys, but I'm sure most of them are. I'm sure it's not easy reproducing parts and having them "fit" well. I just wish they would "fit" better. I would even pay more for a part that was next to, or better than NOS. 

Offline specialed

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 07:20:44 PM »
there is another repo out there that fits better I think midland or ?    brian you pull the boot up in placewith small needlenose pliers without taking panels off.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 08:30:14 PM »
Yes, thanks for the tip.  Not going to fool around to much more with this until the panels are off.  These panels are even more fragile/thinner than the ones on my 65.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.