Author Topic: Radio knob repair?  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Murf

Radio knob repair?
« on: January 03, 2015, 03:07:05 PM »
Looking for a replacement for the spring steel insert located in the radio knob of a 68 with console (probably also in a knob without a console as well).  This little insert slips inside the end of the inner (larger) knob on the radio and grips the shaft of the radio.  Ours has been missing forever and hope that someone has knowledge of a salvage or readily available source for this insert - perhaps other Ford products use this same spring steel insert.  A little tiny part and hate to buy a set of reproduction console equipped 68 knobs just for the insert.  Thanks for any help or sharing your experience. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Radio knob repair?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 09:07:39 PM »
I'd guess that almost any radio button from that time frame would have those springs.  Have you tried some junk yards?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:17:45 PM »
Looking for a replacement for the spring steel insert located in the radio knob of a 68 with console (probably also in a knob without a console as well).  This little insert slips inside the end of the inner (larger) knob on the radio and grips the shaft of the radio.  Ours has been missing forever and hope that someone has knowledge of a salvage or readily available source for this insert - perhaps other Ford products use this same spring steel insert.  A little tiny part and hate to buy a set of reproduction console equipped 68 knobs just for the insert.  Thanks for any help or sharing your experience.

Let me check, I might have one, you need just one?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Murf

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 12:42:48 PM »
Yes, just one. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 02:43:59 PM »
I have one out of the two knobs that I have with the insert...I'm not sure it is a console type or not but at least the insert should be correct. C8ZA-18A932-B on the back side.  Chrome is all there but has wrinkles/imperfections.

PM me your address if it sounds correct, I'll package and you pick up the USPS charges and it is yours.

Richard
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 06:07:12 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Murf

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 07:54:15 PM »
PM sent. 
John Murphy

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 08:06:23 PM »
Are all radio knobs plastic?
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 10:03:33 PM »
67s are metal and 68s are plastic.
Marty

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 07:45:12 AM »
John, did the knob arrive yet? 
Richard Urch

Offline Murf

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
Richard, the knob arrived today.  Thank you so much!  I transferred the little spring insert to a knob with good chrome and everything is just great.  The little spring steel insert it very difficult to remove but when it was time to put it in a different knob it slipped in very smoothly - teeth keep it from slipping out when installed correctly.  Again, thank you for making it possible to use an original part! 
John Murphy

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 12:35:16 AM »
Thanks marty. I got some nos torino ones in a nos 68 mustang box which were metal which is why i asked. I am considering using these in my 68 when not being judged.
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...