Author Topic: Dash brace hardware: Need assistance ID'ing a fastener  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Angela

Dash brace hardware: Need assistance ID'ing a fastener
« on: September 15, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
I must have removed a bolt/screw labeled "S" and nut labeled "T" in the images attached below (see view E). I have not been able to cross-reference these part numbers sufficiently to know what they are (i.e. size, thread type, head type, finish plating) and need some help. It's possible I still have the fastener someplace, but don't know what I am looking for. It is more likely I will never find the original fastener and am going to need to locate another. Help? The image below is from the Osborn Body Assembly Manual.

Also, while we're at it, a piece of tape is specified between the dash and the brace shown in view E, labeled as part "U". I don't see the tape at this location in my (SanJose) '67. Was this tape intended to limit vibration or irritating rattling? Does anyone know if the tape was actually (commonly) applied at this location?

Offline jwc66k

Re: Dash brace hardware: Need assistance ID'ing a fastener
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 02:54:15 PM »
Angela,
 You will find those hardware items documented in the Library Section of this forum in a post titled "Mustang Hardware Spreadsheet". The author (yours truly) assures me that they are there listed by part number.
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »
I'm going by memory, so don't take this as gospel truth, I cannot check till I get home to confirm, but I believe that the lower one is a 5/16" screw bolt with a phillips head on the bolt, nut has a washer built onto it, toothey type. I can look at my parts this evening if somebody else doesn't confirm or chime in first.

Richard

PS, this is to help you find YOURS, in case you still have it..
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 04:23:23 PM »
Hello sir,

I hope that I can help you further with some pictures I took of my existing mustang.
The tape, as mentioned in the Osborn manual isn't forseen in my car.
So I do not know if it must be installed or it is just forgotten?
In the last picture I added a ruler, just to give you some idea of measurements.
It is in Cm's, not inches...
I hope that you can find your Original bolts back...
Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 03:06:04 AM »
I am trying to get my second picture on display, but it don't work.
I will trying it later again.
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline Angela

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 10:12:04 AM »
Wow, great pics and comments guys; that helps! I'm going to have to created a wanted ad, since I have not been able to find my original hardware for this location. But at least now I know what to look for! Thanks!