Author Topic: Restoring Console Inserts  (Read 1402 times)

Offline sparky65

Restoring Console Inserts
« on: May 28, 2010, 07:33:25 PM »
I remember reading an article a long time ago about restoring the console inserts.  It recommended only having the plater put the plating on while you did the surface prep.  I think it recommended reproducing the brushed look by using sandpaper on one of the layers.  I don't have that much time to work that closely with a plater so I have been asking the platers if they can reproduce the finish.  One place told me it was originally was applied by the manufactures tooling and that they could get a close satin finish but it wouldn't be exact.  Any idea how that was done?  Is satin finish  the correct term for what i call the brushed look or is that something else?
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Restoring Console Inserts
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 07:29:13 AM »
Is there anything new to add to this post? (echo...echo...echo...)

I have a good radio bezel and a firly nice shifter plate (auto) but the back plate is rough and ashtray not too great.

I'll look for other threads, but this thread covers the same need.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments