Author Topic: 1966 GT "Mustached" glove box and instrumant cluster  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Philma

1966 GT "Mustached" glove box and instrumant cluster
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:34:28 AM »
I have located a 66 parts car that has been pretty much scavenged it was a GT coupe according to the owner. It is a Metuchen build, (as is mine) but the glove box and gauge cluster are not the “mustached” style. They are camera black so I know it wasn’t a deluxe interior. He was telling me that not all GT’s came with the “mustached” version, my research, albeit limited, suggests otherwise. I do not need these parts but they look pretty good and I might buy them and resell if I can get a good deal.  Can anyone offer me some advice on the GT vs standard for 1966?
66 Fastback GT
6T09A16XXXX
Silver Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1966 GT "Mustached" glove box and instrumant cluster
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:46:04 AM »
Only std. interior '65 GT's had the glove-box door you are describing.  It was actually the same as the wood grain glove-box door, just did not have the wood grain applique.

For '66, unless it was deluxe interior, the camera case speedo cluster and glove-box door were all the same, with the center chrome ring.  This is different than '65 std. interior GT.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Philma

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 11:00:18 AM »
Thanks Charles,

I didnt find any other indications of GT cept for the holes in the radiator support they looked out of place and about 1/2" diameter. Rear floor had dual exaust hangers, but truly only indicates dual exaust. Was "A" code (no engine) automatic. rear valance doors and front quarters also gone. I was able to get a few bolts I needed and a broken amber fog light was in the trunk so I grabbed it up, still not sure why. Really wasnt worth the trip but I acted on a tip and who knew?
66 Fastback GT
6T09A16XXXX
Silver Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 11:29:52 AM »
Only way to get factory dual exhaust on an A code for 65-66 was if it was a factory GT.  Only other 65-66 Mustangs that received dual exhaust, GT or not were K codes.

Offline Philma

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 08:31:56 AM »
Charles,
Are you certain about the dual exhausts only on GT's? I have seen it documented that non GT's A & K codes Mustangs were produced with dual exhausts, and although the reinforced floor pan with hanger mounts is a good indicator of a GT at birth, it isn't a solid indicator.
You have far more knowledge than I do but I have seen it in numerous places and that is not to say they are right.
66 Fastback GT
6T09A16XXXX
Silver Blue

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 11:29:59 AM »
Charles,
Are you certain about the dual exhausts only on GT's? I have seen it documented that non GT's A & K codes Mustangs were produced with dual exhausts, and although the reinforced floor pan with hanger mounts is a good indicator of a GT at birth, it isn't a solid indicator.
You have far more knowledge than I do but I have seen it in numerous places and that is not to say they are right.

That is the understanding at present.  Unless someone made special arrangements or 'knew someone', then the only way to get dual exhaust on a 65-66 A code was if it was a GT.  The best supporting documentation for this is it was not a line item on the dealer order sheet nor was it a separate item on the dealer option price sheet.

It has been printed in a few books and magazines that it was available, but never seen any proof of that and the Ford documentation contradicts it.

Offline Philma

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 01:25:41 PM »
That is why I joined this forum. My hope and plan is to restore my car to as near factory spec as possible. In reality I hope I will be able to at a concourse level, but the members in this forum are so knowledgeable I figure I can pick their brains and they will take me down the correct path.
Thanks for all the advice.
66 Fastback GT
6T09A16XXXX
Silver Blue

Offline outback mustang

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »
according to ford literature of the day you didnt need to know anybody or have any special arrangements. it was just a special order or a DSO. the dealer would just tick the 4V or A  code box but would write a number (usually a four digit number it seems) and at the bottom he would write duel exhaust or whatever was correct terminology, they are meant to also leave a blue envelope in the glove box outlining all the parts with part numbers used so the service blokes would know what parts to order if needed, sometimes the list could be quite extensive running down the length of the page. anything from wiring looms from other ford vehicles to about anything else you can think that might fit, even from ford trucks!. paint was another item that could be (and apparently was) special ordered from time to time. i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt bother with  blue envelope for just the duel exhaust, its pretty obvious to a mechanic what it is.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 09:13:37 PM »
Special ordering items was very rare and salesmen would typically try and steering customers to more common combinations - sometimes to increase profits from my experience. If you wanted dual exhaust it was allot easier for a salesman to move you up to a GT  or even take the single exhaust car to Midas once the car came in I've been told. Of course brochures and corporate documents always makes things look like its easy and a breeze  when in day to day practice not everything works as planned.

Though we have always heard tons of claims from owners its has been my experience that almost all claims never have any supporting original documentation. Also consider somewhere these special things had to have a value/price associated with them for any order. Special paint was the easiest (price of the change was already determined) and most common in my experiences (having owned my fair share)

In many cases these "special requests" were instead handled after delivery by dealers.

The special order stuff when ordering a Ford  seems much more common on commercial vehicles.

For passenger cars I sometimes wonder from some of the special order cars I've owned and seen if it was just not a slick way to get a hard to get model quicker than the rest of the dealerships.

Have owned more than eight special order cars - 65-69 over the years. 

Just my experiences with the subject.

Would love to see an original Mustang order form with a special order other than paint or gearing. :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 11:16:16 PM »
according to ford literature of the day you didnt need to know anybody or have any special arrangements. it was just a special order or a DSO. the dealer would just tick the 4V or A  code box but would write a number (usually a four digit number it seems) and at the bottom he would write duel exhaust or whatever was correct terminology, they are meant to also leave a blue envelope in the glove box outlining all the parts with part numbers used so the service blokes would know what parts to order if needed, sometimes the list could be quite extensive running down the length of the page. anything from wiring looms from other ford vehicles to about anything else you can think that might fit, even from ford trucks!. paint was another item that could be (and apparently was) special ordered from time to time. i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt bother with  blue envelope for just the duel exhaust, its pretty obvious to a mechanic what it is.

Would be great to see some examples of this.