Author Topic: Where can I purchase mounting studs  (Read 2543 times)

Offline rspscj

Where can I purchase mounting studs
« on: July 01, 2014, 07:24:09 PM »
I'm restoring a 69' Mach 1 and I need to replace
the weld studs that secure the roof emblems.
Can anyone help me find replacements?
I had purchased some screw-in ones, but they
got lost in a move! the source I got them
from no longer carries them. I'm close to priming
the body, and need these soon! Any help
would be most appreciated!!

Thanks,
Rick...

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: Where can I purchase mounting studs
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »
These studs can be welded back on if you have access to an auto body stud gun. Most body shops will have this tool and it can be purchased for around $300.00. This is quite expensive if all you are using it for is one job. The only other way I am aware of is to use a self tapping screw and shape the head to fit the emblem.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline jmlay

Mike

1969 Mach1 428 CJ Ram Air
San Jose
Scheduled Build: 1/2/1969
Actual Build: 1/3/1969
Released: 1/8/1969

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 11:58:38 AM »
I went thru this  broken off stud problem several years back on a 69 Sportsroof I was working on for a friend. The base of the stud had rusted thru and broke off when we removed the emblem for painting. There was enough rust where the stud attached that a screw would not hold, and a new stud would not have enough steel to weld to. The body shop recommended a patch be welded inside as a backing piece to attach an appropriate size screw. As the car was a daily driver, we used double side tape.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 04:30:15 PM »
Believe it or not I have used clear silicone (taped the emblem until cured) to hold emblems on with a extreme amount of success. You may be able to use it for the roof emblems. I was turned on to this practice many years ago by a Mustang restoration shop which had to make do with many emblems until repros became more available. I have done this many times on many cars. The Mustang shops  still do it when the need arises to supplement a missing mounting stud on a nice or hard to replace emblem. Some may be skeptical but the practice works so good that it takes a little doing to take them off the next time for a paint job or what have you. You slightly rough the surface to apply the silicone to (hidden behind emblem of course ) and clean surface with alcohol before applying the silicone.  The only place I don't use this practice is when it is for a emblem where you can see the stud from the back side like in a grill or tail panel. But that is just to satisfy my visual sensibilities, it still would work .Just another alternative.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 09:40:09 PM »
Bob:
I never would have thought of using clear silicon.  I've previously used 3M's Plastic and Emblem adhesive (08061) with great success on the 66 GT MUSTANG letters on the lower front fenders.  As long as the 69 emblem has some sort of a flat surface for application, this stuff would work very nicely.  The adhesive is clear.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 11:17:34 PM »
Bob:
I never would have thought of using clear silicon.  I've previously used 3M's Plastic and Emblem adhesive (08061) with great success on the 66 GT MUSTANG letters on the lower front fenders.  As long as the 69 emblem has some sort of a flat surface for application, this stuff would work very nicely.  The adhesive is clear.
One thing that the clear silicone has over the 3M adhesive is that when and if it has to come off although tight you can slip a blade or putty knife in between the surface and the emblem to release it . Much more difficult with the adhesive. Been there done that too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rspscj

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 09:37:57 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys!!
I think I found the perfect solution
from a, (please don't hate me), an El camino restoration
site, I got them in the mail today.
They're screw-in, the top (outer) portion
is non threaded so they'll bottom out
for a perfect replacement height !!
exactly the same diameter except the
provision for a small Phillips head screw driver.

Offline kammertime

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 08:17:46 PM »
rspscj,

Could you provide a link or company name of where you purchased them ?

Thanks,
John