Author Topic: NOS Std. Instrument Bezels: bad chrome?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Angela

NOS Std. Instrument Bezels: bad chrome?
« on: June 23, 2014, 11:21:06 AM »
I'm starting this thread because I placed a wanted ad, which resulted in some feedback that the chrome on NOS bezels is often poor and may fade extremely quickly in the sun. I was told that perhaps Charles or Jeff might have had some personal experience with purchasing NOS bezels and being unhappy with the chrome fading quickly (?).  Since these NOS bezels are so absurdly expensive, I wanted to post a thread on this topic before I spend big bucks. It's a royal pain in the rear to install these clusters into the car, especially when dealing with a tach. I'd prefer not to have to remove the cluster once installed.

I tried installed my cluster using the USA-made reproduction bezel and was thoroughly disgusted with how it fit. ---------> Has anyone else had this same experience? It fit horrible on the left side, especially where the heater control bezel meets the instrument cluster bezel.

Am I better off with the USA-made repro bezel, even if it doesn't fit well, or the NOS bezels which I'm told the chrome may degrade rapidly?

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: NOS Std. Instrument Bezels: bad chrome?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:34:32 PM »
Have you looked into having your original bezel rechromed / restored?

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
No, I have not looked into rechroming an original (I don't have the original bezel, but could surely locate an old one). I've been told (right or wrong) that rechroming plastic is a nightmare. I am not aware of anyone within the three state area that does this type of plating.

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 02:40:17 PM »
The company that did my bezel on my coupe is no longer in Business, Auto Instruments out of Virginia. There are other threads on this topic. I found this via Google but can't attest to them-

http://www.instrument-specialties.com/services/plastic-chrome-bezels/

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 10:19:58 PM »
I would do the replating also. Yes there have been many issues with the shops doing the plating but a recent thread on another site (guys having the same issues and complaints) found that  was turning out some good honest work- Vacuumornametal & Instrument Specialties

Just sharing their experiences

The good and the bad

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=26674.0
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 08:39:19 AM »
A lot of NOS bezels lack the details of assembly line parts. I give Instrument Specialties a thumbs up, they have done dozens of pieces for me and if there ever is a problem only once) they will fix it immediately. Tell Mike or Tom you know me, I know them well
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America