Author Topic: Generator - Alternator confusion  (Read 883 times)

Offline Ash47

Generator - Alternator confusion
« on: June 22, 2014, 08:31:36 AM »
I recently purchased a D-Code July 64 dearborn built convertible without an motor.

Something I didn't pay any attention to until removing the speedometer housing was it had am alternator warning (ALT) light not a generator that I would have expected. I know from reading many other posts about things like this that some items made it into later models earlier than documented. It also passed through my mind that the fascia may have been replaced though the gauge housing screws looked to still be original and unremoved before, the original date stamp on the housing has July 22, 1964 so it's not from a later model.

So rather than try and deep dive every possibility, does anyone else's 64.5 have this. a ALT warning list instead of a GEN.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Generator - Alternator confusion
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 01:32:28 PM »
The bezel has most likely been replaced at some point.  Remember that these have been available in reproduction since the early 80's and Ford serviced them since new.  I have only heard of some early alternator cars having the GEN light, but not the other way around.  I wouldn't completely rule it out as not being original though, but it's not something we normally see.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Ash47

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 02:38:30 AM »
The bezel has most likely been replaced at some point.  Remember that these have been available in reproduction since the early 80's and Ford serviced them since new.  I have only heard of some early alternator cars having the GEN light, but not the other way around.  I wouldn't completely rule it out as not being original though, but it's not something we normally see.

Thankyou for the response, I was somewhat confused by it and the fact the ALT lens was so brittle lending me to think it was original and after I paid good money for a NOS generator shroud i didn't want to start researching alternator options. So I will pretend I didn't see the ALT lens and continue with my generator rebuild.

Thanks

Offline 5F08KGT

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:13:56 AM »
May be the car was built right on the cusp during the change=over from Generators to Alternators??

Charles/Jeff, When did the change take place again??