Author Topic: Hood Latch and Pin Detail  (Read 4189 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Hood Latch and Pin Detail
« on: June 03, 2014, 10:45:47 PM »
Could some post a picture of the hood latch, pin, and nut with the correctly done finished.  Want to make sure I get the nut and latch correct.  Went through my pics and I don't have any pics of the hood that high...

Thanks
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Hood Latch and Pin Detail
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:32:09 PM »
The pin should be gold colored.  The original finish was zinc w/dichromate (gold), but it was somewhat 'washed' out and not as bright as typical zinc/dichromate pieces.  The washer was either zinc or phosphate and the nut was usually phosphate.  The safety catch was phosphate as well as the 2 attaching bolts.

The hood latch was phosphate with phosphate attaching bolts.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 10:27:01 AM »
Thanks Charles.  I believe I got a NOS hood pin from you awhile ago  ;) 
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 12:13:59 PM »
Spot on, exactly. There's an NOS pin out on eBay right now, been there for awhile...sparked my memory of what Charles describes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Hood-Striker-Ford-Mustang-64-65-66-Fastback-Shelby-GT-Convertible-hipo-289-/310937765680?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item486555c730#ht_1556wt_760

Getting this correct on our car was another of my winter projects. Learned something new too.

-Lance
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:29:50 PM »
The pin should be gold colored.  The original finish was zinc w/dichromate (gold), but it was somewhat 'washed' out and not as bright as typical zinc/dichromate pieces.  The washer was either zinc or phosphate and the nut was usually phosphate. 
Almost all the 64-66 Mustangs I've stripped had a clear zinc pin. The exposed part was early American rust, but the threaded portion where the hex nut and staked nut in the hood were not gold. These were mostly San Jose cars. We have found out that many NOS items are different than factory originals in many factors, this may be one of them.
Also, these cars had a chrome plated washer, not zinc or phosphate as the assembly manuals and Ford Car Parts call out. This washer is non standard in size, 0.570in id, 1.120in od, 0.057in t. There is only one washer listed in the AMK Guide to Ford fasteners that comes close, and it apparently has no Mustang usage.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 05:04:30 PM »
Well that's pretty interesting AND enlightening both Jim. Thank you. I still have that chrome washer (1-6-66 SJ car) and wondered about it. It's a bit thinner too but it's in pretty bad shape. Almost looks as if it was chrome over copper too, but can't be positive. We also did not see any of the plating traces on the original pin. Adjust/lock nut too, nice rust finish, as you say. I like the way it looks now but I might revisit this again. It's a prominent feature to me when popping the hood but maybe that's just because I've fixated on it for so long...!
-Lance
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 05:33:58 PM »
Almost all the 64-66 Mustangs I've stripped had a clear zinc pin. The exposed part was early American rust, but the threaded portion where the hex nut and staked nut in the hood were not gold. These were mostly San Jose cars. We have found out that many NOS items are different than factory originals in many factors, this may be one of them.
Also, these cars had a chrome plated washer, not zinc or phosphate as the assembly manuals and Ford Car Parts call out. This washer is non standard in size, 0.570in id, 1.120in od, 0.057in t. There is only one washer listed in the AMK Guide to Ford fasteners that comes close, and it apparently has no Mustang usage.
Jim

I've always found gold tint on every original hood pin I have come across or removed, did not make a difference on assembly plant.  If it's faded or rusted off the main part, I have found gold on the threads that were covered.  As I said, it is a very dull gold color.  Could probably provide many examples as I'm sure Jeff could also.

Some of the washers may have been chrome, I have never seen one though.  This would be quite obvious as chrome plating would hold up.  It would have been unnecessary for such a simple and barely visible piece to have such a finish though.  I maintain that most should either be phosphate or clear zinc.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 05:50:39 PM »
I'll check my original setup tonight. Years ago, I had left the chrome washer alone and re-used, as it wasn't "too bad", condition-wise, but may have literally destroyed the evidence left on everything else, as I wire brushed all of it and shot with Cast Blast (when this paint first appeared on the market). Should have also mentioned that I found the bolts to be a tad shorter in length, used for the safety catch, than the typical latch bolts, fender bolts, etc. (star washer variety). Same head markings, just a wee bit shorter.  We had a nice mix of these bolts in the engine compartment with an early car.
-Lance
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »
I've always found gold tint on every original hood pin I have come across or removed, did not make a difference on assembly plant.  If it's faded or rusted off the main part, I have found gold on the threads that were covered.  As I said, it is a very dull gold color.

+1  Remember that the Gold is a simple dye not a plating so it does not hold up well in all cases - leaving just the silver zinc or rust :(

Could probably provide many examples as I'm sure Jeff could also.

To support and help the discussion ;)

From 6R07C2313xx

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 09:42:25 PM »
You guys are good, is all I have to say...
Confirmed that the chrome washer does measure out to your dimensions above exactly Jim. It matches your photo as well. And Charles, yes absolutely, there is mostly clear zinc over most of the tip of the original pin but there are two places where traces of gold color are present. My cast blast paint had almost completely worn away on the tip, revealing the original finish. The threaded shaft and frozen-on nut are toast, as far as finish goes, but that was expected. Thank you!
-Lance
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 09:49:55 PM »
Credit goes to your photo Jeff (missed you). Thank you! Our sun came out only about an hour ago...so very nice!
-Lance
Our VIN for reference: 6RO9A1504xx
VR/
-Lance

Many Original Options