Author Topic: Instrument Cluster Bulb tubes  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Angela

Instrument Cluster Bulb tubes
« on: May 19, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »
I started a "Wanted Ad" on a portion of this topic, yet decided that I had a few questions which could potentially be answered in a full-blown forum post. :-)

Inside the 67-68 dash / gauge instrument cluster there are cardboard tubes that slide over each instrument light bulb, directly the light from the bulb to the associated colored lens at the front of the instrument bezel. At the end of each of these short cardboard tubes are rubber grommets. I only own two instrument clusters, but in both of those examples, the cardboard tubes are reusable (i.e. not perfect shape but not a lost cause), BUT, the rubber grommets are completely shot (touch them and the disintegrate). Here are my questions:

(1) Does anyone know of a source who sells/reproduces these cardboard tubes and rubber grommets? I called Drake and NPD and neither carried them

(2) Does anyone have any of these cardboard tubes and/or rubber grommets they would be willing to sell to me?

(3) Are the rubber seals / grommets necessary? Or is it OK to just install the cardboard tubes without the rubber seals?

(4) Is it advantageous to use LED bulbs here, instead of the original bulbs? I suspect the original rubber seals are shot due to excessive heat from the incandescent bulbs? I haven't yet found a source for LED bulbs I am comfortable with, since use of them seems to cause the dash rheostat NOT to work.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Instrument Cluster Bulb tubes
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 04:38:53 PM »
The rubber portion is used as a seal, it keeps the light from spreading into the adjoining areas. You will want them in satisfactory condition. I did mine last year and they were "satisfactory" and it spent most of it's life in sunny California desert heat (if that has anything to do with them being ok).
Anything other than original good used here may result in a less than satisfactory job. Keep hunting. Somebody has them. It would seem that using some carefully die-cut thin foam might work as a satisfactory seal instead. Stay away from things that set up like RTV or single-sided sticky foam.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 05:10:19 PM »
I like your comment: "somebody has them". :-) I wish I could find that person! :-)

What do you think about dipping the original cardboard tubes into Plasti-Dip? That would form a rubberized "seal". I'm not sure why you suggest not to use something like RTV.

Offline lancelot66

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »
All,

You might take a peak at eBay, unless you've already exhausted that search. A forum member, MagMustangs, I think has them used. I know I've seen them out there before, but never in new reproduction form (yet)...

-Lance
VR/
-Lance

SJ Build Date: 1/6
'66 Fstbk: 63A M 25 06A 71 1 6
Many Original Options

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 06:50:30 PM »
I like your comment: "somebody has them". :-) I wish I could find that person! :-)

What do you think about dipping the original cardboard tubes into Plasti-Dip? That would form a rubberized "seal". I'm not sure why you suggest not to use something like RTV.
[/quote
I'll address the RTV first: If ever you needed to go back into it, you would certainly regret a choice like RTV. Especially if you put it in uncured between the cardboard tube and the instrument bezel, it would be a disaster.

Plasti-Dip I have never used it.

If you cannot find another set, which seems like the best option to me, maybe try some experimenting with your extra cardboard tubes using the RTV (black), but build a thin layer onto a tube about the same size and about as thick as the original black seal was. LET IT CURE AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE INSERTING IT INTO YOUR BEZEL before giving it a test fit. Keep this in mind: Something a lot of people don't realize about RTV is it needs humidity or moisure to cure. The more humidity in the air, faster curing time. (arid climates & inside air conditioned or overly heated environents, it can be almost impossible to get a 24 hour cure) Make sure it is fully dry before attempting a fit. Too much of a bead and your cardboard will crush.

At least if it fails, you still have at least 2 more tries on the remaining tubes. Since it's not rocket science, don't overthink it.

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments