Author Topic: Difference between Osbourn manual, and what is...  (Read 3292 times)

Offline roddster

Difference between Osbourn manual, and what is...
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:56:06 AM »
  First off, the car IS a 67 GT 350, middle of October 1966 build date.  I don't think this matters in this situation
     The ground wire attachment (battery and alternator) in the Osbourn assembly ( don't recall if this is the electrical or chassis one) manual clearly shows a bolt/star washer going into the block to bolt the wires to ground.  However, the car came with a bolt/stud (nut with threads out each side) to attach these wires to the block.  I could change it, but, it is original this way.  Any other early built 67 owners have this?  My problem with the assembly manuals is "at what time of the printing"?  I will say that the page illustration (only one like it in the manual) is showing a 289 2BBL car, so, might this be a Hi-Po thing? 
    By the way, I've owned this since 1971 so no, I'm sure niether of the 2 previous owners didn't fiddle with this.

This is how it goes when you get old, I had another very similar question but can't rember what is is.....
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:00:51 AM by roddster »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Difference between Osbourn manual, and what is...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 10:40:46 AM »
   I will say that the page illustration (only one like it in the manual) is showing a 289 2BBL car, so, might this be a Hi-Po thing? 

Never saw a stud on that location on ANY "C" code or "A" code 289's regardless of production date
As for K-codes, no help from me
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 12:37:13 PM »
This is one of those mid-year running changes that is poorly documented as it involves three different engineering groups that got into finger pointing - "It goes on an engine, let them document it." vs "It's an electrical requirement, let them document it." vs "It's the transmission guys responsibility." That being said, the stud was first used in early or mid 66 (maybe on late 65, I don't know) production on cars with an automatic transmission to allow the transmission cooling lines to be attached to the RH front of the block prior to the battery ground wire being attached. Previously, on AT cars, the bracket and ground cable were attached the same as the manual transmission cars, a bolt (lockwasher omitted for clarity) as shown in the Assembly manuals. This can be seen in the illustrated section of Ford Car Parts, Sect A71, pg 6 as part number 380818-S.
I believe that p/n 380818-S is for the I-6 engines, as it should have a 3/8-16 thread at the block end, and a 7/16-14 thread at the battery ground end. The AT bracket goes in first with lockwashers, the battery ground last, with lockwashers and a jam nut. This type of installation make is easier to replace the ground cable. The part number for the 289 V-8 engine is unknown, but it has 7/16-14 threads at both ends. It should be used on any 289 engine with an AT including HP and Shelby applications.
I don't know if this applies to years other than 66 and 67, or other engines (302, 390 etc).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 12:57:53 PM »
I have not seen this stud setup on any 67 GT350 4 speed early or late survivor or otherwise examples that I have ever observed (many) . With that said I believe this a past owner installed addition on your 4 speed GT350.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 06:23:37 PM »
I have not seen this stud setup on any 67 GT350 4 speed early or late survivor or otherwise examples that I have ever observed (many) . With that said I believe this a past owner installed addition on your 4 speed GT350.
The original post made no mention of transmission type, so if all 67 GT-350's came with top loaders, then your statement is true and a bolt should be used.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »
The original post made no mention of transmission type, so if all 67 GT-350's came with top loaders,............

They didn't but would guess Bob remembers this specific car - as do I ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 08:41:23 PM »
And like the great Mustang Guru says - "year, plant, model and special equipment required to properly respond." Now, who was that guy again?  ;)
Jim

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 12:57:58 AM »
I have seen the stud on auto trans cars in the past, but unfortunately could not tell you what years/plants.  Most of what I play with is 65-66 though.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
I too have seen studs for grounding but like Bob never on a 67 V8
I seem to recall 6 cylinders, not sure plant/year
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline roddster

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 10:41:43 AM »
  Calling AMK.....

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 10:07:11 PM »
Did look for reference pictures but no clear shots of 67 K code manual transmission with this detail :(  Not a location that one often takes pictures of

Though we can't know if it applies but did see the stud used on V8 and 6 cylinder 66 San Jose cars - still limited numbers of examples
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)