Author Topic: Grill surrounds for 65 and rocker moulding  (Read 1243 times)

Offline outback mustang

Grill surrounds for 65 and rocker moulding
« on: March 17, 2014, 06:33:29 AM »
I am wondering if there is a difference between reproduction, original and NOS parts.

i have the choice to polish up my original grill surrounds but then is there a suitable silver paint for the internal matt finish . i assume that is what the matt silver finish is?, is it viable to achieve a proper finish this way. or is a reproduction part just as good, or is there a difference between repro and NOS parts.

a simular question with rocker mouldings, i have the smallest of dings that i think i could tap out, then polish them up, then paint with a matt black(?) in the depth of the channels. what type of black paint? . i have read somewhere on this forum that the original rocker mouldings are regarded as being thicker or stronger than reproduction rocker mouldings ?

cheers

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Grill surrounds for 65 and rocker moulding
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:24:30 PM »
Those pieces were originally anodized.  To restore them will usually cost more than the cost of buying NOS.  If you want these parts to fit and appear as original, you won't be able to achieve desired results with reproduction parts.

Yo might be able to do a little polishing, but if the surface is cloudy, it would require going all the way down past the anodizing and then you would expose the raw aluminum (causing corrosion quickly).

Yes to your question regarding thickness of rocker panel moldings.  The repro can usually be dented by simply pressing your thumb into them.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 03:40:33 PM »
but then is there a suitable silver paint for the internal matt finish . i assume that is what the matt silver finish is?,
The paint used is Argent, usually available from most Mustang Stores.
Everything Charles stated is true.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline outback mustang

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:26:07 PM »

thanks to you both, saved me some work and disappointment

i didn't occur to me it was aluminium , it should  have, not that i had removed them yet. perhaps because i had just been polishing some stainless steel parts when i had been considering buying replacements instead, but thought to give it a try and they came up a treat. thought, ah, now how about doing the grill surrounds and rocker mouldings lol but they need painting as well. the paint info is still handy as it looks the same as whats on my other ford grill but the chrome is still bright and could do with just a little paint touch up.

i have not had re-anodisng them quoted but interestingly i noticed they also offer to electroplate it chrome. given that as they say in order to have a bright finish in aluminium the anodising has to be shallow. no doubt it would look nice but probably not original. i thought it interesting though.

re the thickness and quality of the rocker mouldings, with the consensus that reproduction replacements are thin. does that just apply to repro parts sold new at all the various places or would it also apply to NOS rocker mouldings that are in Ford packaging but are not very old? e.g some ford replacement parts (rocker moulding) are only 10-15 years old. or are they made to the same standard and thickness of the originals?

cheers

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 11:52:40 PM »
The NOS rocker panel moldings I have used over the years were the same quality and thickness as original pieces.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline outback mustang

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:56:31 PM »
thanks again, much appreciated