Author Topic: Wanted: NOS 67 Std Instrument Cluster Bezel  (Read 875 times)

Offline Angela

Wanted: NOS 67 Std Instrument Cluster Bezel
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:42:34 PM »
Looking for an NOS 67 Std Instrument Cluster Bezel. There are some on ebay for $300-$325 and I think this is absurd for a piece of plastic. :-) However, I know NOS parts are tough to obtain... I'm willing to pay $250 with shipping. Anyone willing to sell one for that price?

Offline ruppstang

Re: Wanted: NOS 67 Std Instrument Cluster Bezel
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:25:23 AM »
Often NOS has shelf wear issues. I try to find a good solid original and have it replated. I can not remember the cost but it is not cheep either.
Marty

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 11:02:04 AM »
+1.  The chrome on the plastic seems to wear really badly, even when these items have never been out of the box.  I think it was Charles Turner or maybe Jeff Speegle that mentioned buying several NOS bezels and replacing them with reproductions because the chrome was so bad, or wore so quickly in the sun.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 12:45:52 PM »
I can not remember the cost but it is not cheep either.

Do you still have your original one? Getting it plated (or another solid used one) might be a good (best) option. We are working with CLASSIC antique automobiles. If COST were an issue, we might be "doing it wrong". Don't get me wrong, we all have budgets to work within...but I'm thinking anything on my dashboard is worth as much detail as anything else seen on the outside to the average on-looker. The DASH is what WE, the driver, sees the most.  I have an aftermarket Deluxe now on mine, but also kept my OE replacement (kept asside for restoration purposes, bought the replacement OE item from the dealer back in 1979, chrome gone again)  I also was concerned about fitment/wearing down of the chrome of the aftermarket one. A different probem I had with the passengers panel (over the glove box) was also a horrible fitment of an aftermarket with one, yet another aftermarket one was OK. I just ended up using the original brushed panel (refinished the brushing)and the steel backing, machined out the new chome bezel to accept the OE brushed sections and it fits great and looks better than ever. (my original was brittle and cracked it while removing, the old dash pad had a weird pressure on it)  What I am saying here is that I had to buy more and do much more than I ever really wanted to, to get the job done to my satisfaction. Be willing to do the same. Don't try too much in hurrying. Once you have pulled that cluster once or twice, you'll see how easy it comes out (possibly again and again to get certain bugs you're likely to have all worked out)
I think I've heard it somewhere before...   "If it doesn't fit, you must aquit"
Oh wait, I don't think that quote was about cars.

Richard
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:54:03 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments