Author Topic: '68 GT/CS and Denver district High Country Special??  (Read 2007 times)

priceless

'68 GT/CS and Denver district High Country Special??
« on: February 09, 2014, 09:06:02 AM »
I've got a photo attached from the Marti, Mustang by the numbers. The 7th down under '68 option production shows a California Mustang. I'm assuming that is for the GT/CS? I know they were all HT. And the High Country Special badging was were the GT/CS badging would be, on the side scoops right? Why is the Marti book not showing the high country special option?  I done a search here and nothing came up.

A friend of mine is wanting to know.

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:13:42 AM by priceless »

Offline ruppstang

Re: '68 GT/CS and Denver district High Country Special??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 12:15:33 PM »
GTCS and HCS were all optioned California Special. The way you could tell the HCS's was the DSO 51
Hope this helps

priceless

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 12:47:07 PM »
Ok, so a High Country Special is a California Special (GT/CS), BUT, has the HCS badging where the GT/CS badging would be on the side scoops?  I see on the Marti report where it is designated as a California Special, and being delivered to the Denver ordering district. 

Why wasn't there any HCS designation on the original window sticker, or the Marti report? It simply just states "51 Denver ordering district". Did the dealership apply the HCS decals when it arrived at the dealership?

And out of the 4118 CS's in the Mustang by the Numbers book, does that include the HCS's? If so, how many HCS's where produced?

Thanks for all the info. It really helps.

UPDATE: I just googled HCS. and went onto the HCS's website. They were only 251 HCS's in '68. That's a very low number. Seems like I remember now that the HCS's went back to '66. That was confirmed when I just went on the website just minutes ago.

Marty, is that your HCS? Da**, you better hold onto it. 251 units are are a very low number for the HCS in '68.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 01:03:09 PM by priceless »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »
The GTCS was deleted from the scoop and the California Special script was deleted from the quarter panel. The HCS decal was applied by the 51 DSO dealerships.
Yes it is our HCS, we are very fortunate to have it. When I restored it I found the 51 DSO circled on the on the core support with a #9. Since these were special built cars they were built in small batches ours was the ninth in that batch built. There is a lot of information to be found about the GTCS and HCS on californiaspecial.com
Marty
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:23:37 PM by ruppstang »

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 03:59:14 PM »
Most of the questions can be answered in the "GT/CS Registry" by Paul Newitt. I'm not sure what edition is current or if any are still available.
Here's one link - http://californiaspecial.com/registry.htm
Another http://www.gtcsregistry.com/
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

priceless

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 05:42:02 PM »
That's a really nice HCS, Marty. I've always liked the CS's and the HCS's. The first time I seen a GT/CS was in Atlanta in about '86, I think it was.  My buddy then said "Got a lot of Shelby stuff on there". We both liked the Shelby taillights along with the fiberglass side scoops. At that time, we thought those were the coolest Mustangs on the Planet!!  Lol.  I've been a Mustang fan since I was a kid (sister had one and my cousin), and have been an MCA member 28 years, and to my knowledge, I can't ever recall seeing a HCS in person, but only a few times.

Anyway, you have a nice HCS. Will you have it in Charlotte at the 50th? If so, I'd like to see it.

By the way, I seen on the HCS website they only produced 9 HCS's with the 428CJ, good grief, that's crazy!!  Also, why do you have a '66 tag on your HCS??

Later,
Rich
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:45:49 PM by priceless »

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 10:08:12 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. We can not go to Charlotte because our youngest son is getting married that week. It is just killing me, but we all ways try to think of family first.
We have the 66 plates because Nebraska issued new plates in 66 and stickered them in 67 & 68. New plates came in 69.

Oddly there were more HCS  R codes than GTCS I think only 3. Scott Fuller who visits this site has a beautiful unrestored 68 HCS R code. It does not get any better than that!
Marty