Author Topic: Seat Belt Questions  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Angela

Seat Belt Questions
« on: February 08, 2014, 01:19:13 PM »
I have two questions concerning seat belts for a SanJose-built 67 fastback

(1) In a recent post Jeff warned to make sure the rear seat belts were bolted in BEFORE the rear quarter trim panels (large pieces, one on each side of the rear seat) were installed. I can see how it would be much easier to install the seat belt bolts without those panels in place, but my question is whether or not it is possible to install the seat belts AFTER the panels, even though doing appears to me to be more difficult. I just realized my rear belts are torn thus I'll have to find others, but the trim panels are ready to go, hence my question.

(2) Is it common to find the front seat belt retractors in different extended lengths? See attached picture. I have several sets and I find that retractors with date stamps in 1966 extend further than those with 67 dates. I find this odd. Perhaps it's common?

Offline Angela

Re: Seat Belt Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »
I have a 3rd related question: anyone spoke with Python lately? Many seem to recommend him yet his voice mail is full and I have yet to have anyone answer the phone when I call. Just curious if he's still doing seat belt restoration. Thanks.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:24:24 AM »
pretty sure I've put them in after the panel although harder to get wrench on them. Just leave a message with Stewart. Sometimes he gets busy or is away
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:27:43 AM »
sorry, didnt see your note saying voice mail is full. I sent him an email to tell him to clear it up

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 10:52:36 AM »
He's cleaning it up. Someone left same message 10 times

Offline Angela

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 12:00:49 PM »
Awesome! Thanks. I called and left a message... hopefully he will call me back soon! 

Offline Angela

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 03:04:33 PM »
No word yet from Python. I'll let you know. I also sent him an email.

Back to the seat belt retractor length question..... is it common that Ford used retractors with various extended belt lengths? According to the tags, the two units pictured were manufactured by the same vendor.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 04:41:10 PM »
I brought the length difference up with another Mustang owner an hour or so ago and he said he had a similar situation that turned out to have a simple answer, the longer retractor was for a Fairlane, it's possible.
As to Python, I went thru the same lack of response problem a couple of years back and the situation was that there was a series of personal problems there. As soon as the problems were solved, I got my belts. I had no complaints with the quality.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Angela

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 10:07:36 AM »
Thanks for the feedback concerning Python. I was able to speak with Stewart yesterday afternoon and he sounds very knowledgeable.  Now I'm just waiting for him to email me his shipping address so I can send in my belts. He stated his website doesn't specify his address. Hopefully he'll contact me with the address soon.

Concerning retractor length, I took another look at the two parts shown in the picture above and realized they are actually made by different vendors. That said, I know for a fact they were both removed from '67 SanJose fastbacks. Of course, I do understand that over the years a previous owner could have changed something.