Author Topic: Engine Assembly Date Stamp tragedy!  (Read 4337 times)

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

Engine Assembly Date Stamp tragedy!
« on: January 17, 2014, 10:05:17 PM »
 :'(

Just got my engine back from the rebuild and realised that the assembly date stamp has been machined off.

So now I am faced with replicating the stamp. Is there a certain font that is used or a certain brand of stamps? Has anyone got some that I can borrow? I would pay for postage of course. I am really desperate here because for one, my stamp is gone and for two, the engine has to go in soon.

The numbers/letters I need are 5L24X
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:59:13 PM by 66RavenGTCoupe »
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)

Offline NEFaurora

Re: Engine Assembly Date Stamp tragedy!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
I would not do a thing..  Leave it be.  You can clearly tell it's a "5".   I would never question that stamping, even with the "5" partially cut off.  It's all part of the process.  I would however question the engine if it was re-stamped in any kind of way.

Do yourself a favor and just leave it alone.

Any trying to try and make it "perfect" is a waste of time and money, and what you wind up with will never be as good as what you started with.

Leave it be.

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline mustang65ld

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 08:16:55 PM »
I am thinking that the photo posted was a "pre" machine work photo as there is a lot of oil and old paint. I think the author included it to request a stamp to recreate what the machine shop decked off when machining the block.

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 08:22:07 PM »
I am thinking that the photo posted was a "pre" machine work photo as there is a lot of oil and old paint. I think the author included it to request a stamp to recreate what the machine shop decked off when machining the block.

This is correct. The stamp has been machined off!
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 08:49:24 PM »
One positive thing is that you were smart enough to take a picture of the stamping before you took it in. I would leave it as is. Save the picture and if you ever sell the car leave it to the next guy to do anything about it. You have pictures showing it was there and I'm guessing you have pictures showing the engineering number and casting date to match everything up

Just my 2 cents
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 10:50:23 PM »
One positive thing is that you were smart enough to take a picture of the stamping before you took it in. I would leave it as is. Save the picture and if you ever sell the car leave it to the next guy to do anything about it. You have pictures showing it was there and I'm guessing you have pictures showing the engineering number and casting date to match everything up

Just my 2 cents

That's right Jeff. I have pictures of everything! :)
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
There's the more visible assembly date stamp, see attached. It's on a "boss" near the distributor where the water pump and timing cover bolt to the engine.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 11:31:54 PM »
There's the more visible assembly date stamp, see attached. It's on a "boss" near the distributor where the water pump and timing cover bolt to the engine.
Jim

Jim - That is the one that is now gone - was erased when the block was decked
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:38:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
It looked like the one located on the oil pan mounting surface.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline zray

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 09:58:41 AM »
One positive thing is that you were smart enough to take a picture of the stamping before you took it in. I would leave it as is. Save the picture and if you ever sell the car leave it to the next guy to do anything about it. You have pictures showing it was there ……."

Just my 2 cents

that's what I would do as well. Just seems the common sense approach to the situation. Re-stamping numbers, VIN or otherwise,  is never advised in my opinion.  Even if their is no intent to defraud, it's always "fishy" & just another "explanation" that no one wants to hear.

Z.
Looking for '65-'68 manual V-8 coupe
that doesn't need a new body

Offline Jack65K

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 11:37:53 AM »
+1 for leave it as is and supply the picture if you sell the car down the road.  When I had my engine rebuilt I went to the machine shop and asked them to make sure they did not remove the date stamping when they machined the block and they did as I requested.
Jack
65 K Code Coupe, Vintage Burgundy/White Vinyl Top & Black Interior
04 GT Convertible, Redfire Clearcoat/White Top and Oxford White Interior

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 08:50:15 PM »
If reproduced with correct stamping font, I don't see the issue with restamping it. If pics to document it are kept, then stamping becomes a backup for down the road if the documents are lost. Like when paint marks or stripes are added to a part during restoration it could be considered "fishy" since we are trying to pass off the part as original. Now, restampng a VIN number I would not condone. I suppose one could use very small font and stamp "decked" above the restamping if they wanted to feel warm and fuzzy.

Offline Toploader

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 03:46:15 PM »
+1. Everything on this site is about replicating factory processes. Just not stamps!?! I take for granted here that the documentation is bullet proof and no fraud is involved.
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 07:09:26 PM »
+1. Everything on this site is about replicating factory processes. Just not stamps!?! I take for granted here that the documentation is bullet proof and no fraud is involved.
This is how I feel about it too. I believe that the fact that the numbers have been machined off make it look even more fishy than if they were replaced but the fact that I have dated pictures to back it up, as Jeff mentioned, I believe is the key here.

I have borrowed some old stamps that are very similar. They use the same old font which is really cool. Height is fine but they are slightly wider. Been told that it would be near impossible to get the exact same ones and I am actually surprised that I found these as they are a 95% match in my opinion. That boss just looks wrong with nothing on it!
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 07:18:11 PM »
you didn't hear me say this but a slightly heavy coat of paint over the stamp may help to disguise the 'new' numbers.
5F09C331248