Author Topic: Early 65 interior trim tabs?  (Read 3710 times)

Offline livetoride60

Early 65 interior trim tabs?
« on: December 21, 2012, 11:11:28 PM »
Hi,

I have an Oct 64 SJ car and was told by my local Mustang guys that there are some trim pieces on early cars that hold down the ends of the thin trim above the rear seat.  See pictures.  Later, the trim went all the way to the door window and the small trim tabs on the end were eliminated.  Does anyone know a source for these or have a picture?  I assume they'd be about 1.5" x 1" with a screw hole in them.

Thanks,
Rich
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:28:28 PM by livetoride60 »
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline jwc66k

Re: Early 65 interior trim tabs?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:14:23 AM »
The info you got from the "local Mustang guys" were for a hardtop, not a Fastback, so disreguard them completely (and get some new Mustang guys).
In your first picture, there is a screw that goes in a hole at the end of the trim piece that goes between the vent panel and the panel with the light into the body. If you look closely at your first picture, there is a hole in the upper panel for the screw to clear, and I think the hole in the body in the second for the screw (although it looks enlarged a bit). My two pictures show the trim installed on my "K" car where it wraps around to the edge of the panels. Your trim piece appears to be too short as well.
I would recomend you get a set of 66 Mustang Assembly Manuals available from most online Mustang parts sellers. You will need 66 Interior, 66 Body, 66 Electrical and 64 1/2 Chassis (there is no 65 or 66 Chassis). There are two optional manuals, 64 Weld and Sealant (again, no 65 or 66 but 65 Fastback is there), and 66 Engine Accessories. The disclaimer, those manuals are at least 90-95 percent accurate which is better than "0".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 01:14:12 AM »
There are a couple versions of the metal trim piece, with a difference in how the end is formed.  I believe there was discussion here regarding this in the past.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 05:43:54 PM »
Charles & Jim - thanks for the information.  I found a picture of the piece (attached below), and CJPP said they are called "quarter trim end caps", although they are not reproduced.  The end on my long trim piece looks different.....(maybe that's one of the variations?)....but would guess it still takes an end cap.  I don't know why someone would have cut them off otherwise.

Also got confirmation from several vendors / Mustang shops that the end caps were on early Fastbacks.  My local Mustang guys (Mustang Corral - http://www.mustangcorral.com)  have been restoring Mustangs & Shelbys for 30 years, including concurs show cars, and have probably 100-200 cars out back, so they are pretty knowledgeable.

Couldn't find this piece in the 65 interior assembly manual.

Here are the pics.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 05:54:30 PM by livetoride60 »

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 06:13:30 PM »
Here are 2 pics from my SJ Oct 29 64, also sent you a PM on it.  And Charles, I know, the color coded door lock plungers don't belong but I like them better than the chrome and will change them out when I attend a MCA show.  Plus they fit better too  ;)

Chris

Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 03:07:26 AM »
.....Couldn't find this piece in the 65 interior assembly manual.

That' s likely because the diagram was drawn after they were phased out :(

I've owned dozens of early fastbacks and never have owned one with these covers. Never really took notice of the detail till the internet came around.  Even owned cars earlier than the example from Oct San Jose. Of course (since we are using the door tag dates) the Sept FB could have been built after the Oct example ;) 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:10:03 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 01:21:40 PM »
Hi,

I have an Oct 64 SJ car and was told by my local Mustang guys that there are some trim pieces on early cars that hold down the ends of the thin trim above the rear seat.  See pictures.  Later, the trim went all the way to the door window and the small trim tabs on the end were eliminated.  Does anyone know a source for these or have a picture?  I assume they'd be about 1.5" x 1" with a screw hole in them.

Thanks,
Rich

Just curious if your car has vinyl on the inner rocker area also (above the carpet)? My first fastback was an early '65 also. It was many years ago I research resources were VERY thin. In other words, I never recorded the scheduled build date or plant.  Mine was most likely Metuchen, though Dearborn was also a strong possible (we don't get very many SJ cars around here). It too had the separate end caps for the quarter trim such as yours, no toe pad for the carpet and vinyl on the inner rockers.
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 02:35:36 PM »
Just curious if your car has vinyl on the inner rocker area also (above the carpet)? ...It too had the separate end caps for the quarter trim such as yours, no toe pad for the carpet and vinyl on the inner rockers.

Well I can't say for sure because my carpet has been replaced.  The car underwent an amateur restoration at some point.  The replacement carpet has no toe pad.  The inner rockers have separate carpet pieces glued to them that run up under the sill plates.

If it helps, my car is mostly 65 but also has 64 1/2 features like the slotted tire hold down bolt bracket, 2 speed heater fan & switch (off in the middle), no heater resistor pack, and of course the trim end caps.

Rich

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 12:03:08 AM »
Some more detail....I took off the long trim pieces and took a couple pics of the ends.  Looks like on the backside the lip on the bottom is cut back more than the top to accommodate the end cap.  This is different than the end on the same pieces on the red interior car above, which are longer and have a slot cut for the screw.

Thanks for all the information.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:31:12 PM by livetoride60 »

Offline blk65fstbk

Re: Early 65 fastback interior trim tabs?
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 03:08:56 PM »
I'm in the same position that livetoride60 is / was in. My early 65 fastback had the quarter trim end caps and they are missing. Is there now a source? Or a pattern that someone has made that can be used to make a set? Thanks.
1965 Mustang Fastback
"A" Code 289 V8, 4 Speed Manual Toploader and 3.00:1 Locking Differential
Raven Black Exterior and Black Standard Interior
No PS, PB or A/C
Built November 5, 1964 in Dearborn, MI

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 01:50:31 AM »
I'm in the same position that livetoride60 is / was in. My early 65 fastback had the quarter trim end caps and they are missing. Is there now a source? Or a pattern that someone has made that can be used to make a set? Thanks.

Would guess that you could used the cut off ends form a later version set and form new ones from there if you found the length of the top and bottom edge

That is were I would start ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »

I haven't done mine yet, but my thought was to modify a center trim piece, cut off one end at an angle and bend it over.  It already has the screw hole and is the proper width to fit over the belt trim. 

Also if you mess up, it's easy (and cheap) to buy another and start over.