Author Topic: 64.5 stone guard install  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Lemondrop

64.5 stone guard install
« on: January 08, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »
Ok, going nutso here. The stone guard shows to have a stud in front of the battery box but my car has a slot like a j nut takes. The stud will not go in the hole no matter what I have tried. The sheet meta on the core support looks dimpled like a j nut was used before and the stone guard lines up with the round hole, and not the square hole it shows the stud fitting to. June 8th build..... Should mine have a stud or j nut?

Added two pics, the second is the guard loose bolted in place. I stuck a magnet in there against the far right side of the adjust hole. For me to make it to the square section the front end needs a half inch shift to the right and there is not room on the fender bolts to go that far.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:56:33 PM by Lemondrop »

Offline jwc66k

Re: 64.5 stone guard install
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 04:16:10 PM »
Early cars used two "J" nuts for the stone guard. In 1965 the stud appeared as a front end collision might drive the bolt/stud combination into the battery.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Lemondrop

Re: 64.5 stone guard install
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 04:38:43 PM »
Early cars used two "J" nuts for the stone guard. In 1965 the stud appeared as a front end collision might drive the bolt/stud combination into the battery.
Jim

Thanks, makes sense. I had all but given up on doing anything with it till I heard something here. Makes me wonder why the AMK kit is for a 64.5 but does not have provisions for this? It is missing two J nuts and two bolts for the front valance also. So far I've been happy with the AMK kit as it saved me the trouble of chasing down good used hardware. What really killed was the 1964 body manual I have shows the stud/nut and I have a stone guard off of a 66 A code coupe I am using and I can see the impression of the large washer from the nut mashed into the metal of the tab.