Author Topic: Oct 64 San Jose Firewall Sealant Question  (Read 2425 times)

Offline livetoride60

Oct 64 San Jose Firewall Sealant Question
« on: November 30, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
Yes for your time period and plant it appears from the samples I have that it was typical to find these holes like you have them (open not just dimpled) Have seen them covered/filled with chalking/dum-dum but would have to look at the pictures again to see if that was done during your cars period

Apparently San Jose used calking, as in strip calk, to plug the holes.
Jim

Thanks for the feedback.  My heater hose holes have a lot of dum dum stuck around them.  Don't know if this was original.  The other small fw holes discussed in this thread were not plugged. 

So some follow up questions / clarifications for my Oct 64 SJ car:

1) does the heater hose hole dum-dum look original, and that thick?  Note that the heater delete plate & black caulk in heater bolt holes were not original.  I did that.
2) any more clarification on if the other small holes (I6 accelerator bracket holes) would be filled for my car considering other examples?  They weren't on mine, but not sure if that's original.
3) There also doesn't seem to be much sound deadener applied on the FW.  Was this typical for my plant & period?  Looks like there might have been some around the master cylinder, K/H proportioning valve, and below the steering column.

I'll start a new topic if this is getting too far off....

Thanks,
Rich

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 07:13:16 PM by J_Speegle »
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Re: Identifying FW holes
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 07:08:07 PM »
So some follow up questions / clarifications for my Oct 64 SJ car:

1) does the heater hose hole dum-dum look original, and that thick?  Note that the heater delete plate & black caulk in heater bolt holes were not original.  I did that.

No it does not look original IMHO for that plant and time period

2) any more clarification on if the other small holes (I6 accelerator bracket holes) would be filled for my car considering other examples?  They weren't on mine, but not sure if that's original.

Looking at other cars from the same period I would suggest no. Looking at the pictures at the bottom of the page I see no shadow in the firewall sealant at those holes or at the heater hoses to suggest that there was dum-dum there when the sealer was applied

3) There also doesn't seem to be much sound deadener applied on the FW.  Was this typical for my plant & period?  Looks like there might have been some around the master cylinder, K/H proportioning valve, and below the steering column.

Though we use the term "sound deadener"  to apply to all firewall sealants at all plants 64-73 in 64-66 San Jose a spray adhesive (label so in the assembly manuals also) was used. Really didn't seal as well as the stuff they later used this product looks more like 3M spray adhesive IMHO with its spider web type of texture. I can recall when the cars were new looking like brown spider webs  over the firewall. In the area where the cars were built its not humid so the dust and dirt blowing around often got caught up in the adhesive IMHO while the new cars sat outside the plant and/or in transport

Most builders today use a spray rattle can rubberized sound deadener to fill the need though the look is very different unless you can find just the right can and spray nozzle to get the stuff to come out just right ;)

While were on the subject (this plant and year) you should be able to see a connect the dot sort of pattern where the worker sprayed from one point to the next dragging the spray from point to point. You can often see one or two different patterns on each firewall and sometimes a 3-5" wide application on the radiator support top edge where the guy got a little messy

While we're at it discussing this plant and time period, you car is also one that likely would have had the same sealant applied to your horn wires and boot (also the metal surface around the boot) as a attempt to "black out" the wire. San Jose did this for a short period then appears to have stopped the efforts

Since we got deep into these details I'll split it with you post above and start a new thread for others to find easier in the future ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 07:11:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline livetoride60

Re: Oct 64 San Jose Firewall Sealant Question
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 09:23:47 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I did find small amounts as noted above around the master cylinder and other areas, but was hard to tell because of the P.O. repaint.  I think there was some above the heater and around various other holes.  I did find a good example of the spider web pattern you describe when I took the fenders off.  This is on the left cowl side panel.  You can also see the brush on seam sealer (I assume) above it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 09:25:30 PM by livetoride60 »
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 02:16:19 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I did find small amounts as noted above around the master cylinder and other areas, but was hard to tell because of the P.O. repaint.  I think there was some above the heater and around various other holes.  I did find a good example of the spider web pattern you describe when I took the fenders off.  This is on the left cowl side panel.  You can also see the brush on seam sealer (I assume) above it.

Sealers were typically used over body color in that area  (one or both sides of the cowl box (for lack of a better term) to seal the holes were electrical clips and such stuck through to the exterior. On later cars its typically the same black product used to seal the firewall and I would guess done at the same time and by  the same worker

But your picture does show the "spider web" or spray adhesive look that I was referring to
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 03:00:35 PM »
     More ' spider webs ' in May 65 @ San Jose.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 10:53:03 PM »
     More ' spider webs ' in May 65 @ San Jose.  Brian

Wow the guy was sure light on that one.... the inspector must have been on coffee break of something. Dealers, every year, complained about that sort of job and all the water leaks customers were returning with

Here is another- more typical and what they were suppose to do example  IMHO. Of course I've got hundreds of these ;)

A late (well projected date) Oct 64 example. Pretty typical, they got the master cylinder, steering column, electrical connections and most of the brake and other attachment points

A "much more than usual"  example - later car

Jeff Speegle