Author Topic: sealer on expansion valve corktape covering?  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Murf

sealer on expansion valve corktape covering?
« on: December 09, 2013, 11:29:53 AM »
April 03 build, 302 W/AC, SJ plant.  Was the cork tape that wraps around the expansion valve and hoses in the engine compartment sprayed with black sealer along with all of the screws and holes in the firewall?  The cork tape looks very much like it has been sprayed even when it has not and I do not remember how it was when taken apart.  Thanks for any help on this.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: sealer on expansion valve corktape covering?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 12:20:47 PM »
April 03 build, 302 W/AC, SJ plant.  Was the cork tape that wraps around the expansion valve and hoses in the engine compartment sprayed with black sealer along with all of the screws and holes in the firewall?  The cork tape looks very much like it has been sprayed even when it has not and I do not remember how it was when taken apart.  Thanks for any help on this.
That part did not get extra sealer intentionally . The black insulator tape is very pliable and once wrapped it is form fitted sealed with the installers hand. That blends the edges and may give the appearance of being sprayed. It is naturally black sticky/gooey.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 04:56:38 PM »
HVAC suppliers carry the tape. It does not appear that this cork tape has varied very much from the HVAC suppliers over the years.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »
That part did not get extra sealer intentionally . The black insulator tape is very pliable and once wrapped it is form fitted sealed with the installers hand. That blends the edges and may give the appearance of being sprayed. It is naturally black sticky/gooey.

+1  just becomes a clump of sealer that collects (sticks to) anything blowing around in the engine compartment

Think I got a small roll of it for my 71 (last project) from West Coast Cougars .

Though I haven't charged the system yet so haven't put it on :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 09:38:42 PM »
HVAC suppliers carry the tape. It does not appear that this cork tape has varied very much from the HVAC suppliers over the years.

Regards,
Pete Morgan
That is where I got mine, enough for 15 cars!

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 01:03:16 PM »
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline Murf

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »
The roll of tape I have also came from NAPA several years ago.  There is enough on the roll to do three or more cars, and it lasts forever - seems to have an unlimited shelf life.  Thanks for all of the help.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior