Author Topic: 1966 Air Cleaner Installation  (Read 4089 times)

Offline 66RagTop

1966 Air Cleaner Installation
« on: December 01, 2013, 09:36:49 AM »
My current 289 4v "a code" engine is dressed up with a chrome hipo air cleaner and Cobra valve covers. I want to remove these items and restore the look of the engine to a stock finish. The stock air cleaner I'll be installing, reproduction with CA emissions, see link: M3557A Mustang Air Cleaner Original Style With California Emissions V8 1965-1967 | CJ Pony Parts

This new air cleaner has two ports on the main body. I know the front port connects to the oil fill breather. But where does the rear port connect to?

My car was built in San Jose and sold in Los Angeles so I presume it had CA Emissions originally but currently it doesn't have any of the original set up emission hardware. Except the PCV and connection to the carb.

Does the rear port have to connect to something or can it be just plugged?

Any pictures would be great!

Thanks

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1966 Air Cleaner Installation
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 12:33:32 PM »
That rear port has a hose that goes to the bypass valve assembly located on the intake manifold at the LH rear. Apparently Ford used that type of air cleaner assembly in 1966 for non-smog applications as I have a few with a rubber cap over that port. For a complete installation diagram, I suggest you get a set of 1966 Mustang Assembly Manuals published by Jim Osborn Reproductions and sold by most Mustang part suppliers. The set for 66 consists of Body, Electrical, Interior and Ford Engines, plus get a 64-65 Chassis Manual as there is none for 66 - yet. The books are in the upper 90 percent accuracy level, plus they give you a place to "red line" in corrections. For example, my electrical book has the harness ID tag locations noted. The 64-65 Chassis is about 50-60 percent accurate for 66 but is better than nothing.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 01:24:06 PM »
I have original air cleaners and smog parts if you need them

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:14:37 PM »
My current 289 4v "a code" engine is dressed up with a chrome hipo air cleaner and Cobra valve covers. I want to remove these items and restore the look of the engine to a stock finish. The stock air cleaner I'll be installing, reproduction with CA emissions, see link: M3557A Mustang Air Cleaner Original Style With California Emissions V8 1965-1967 | CJ Pony Parts

This new air cleaner has two ports on the main body. I know the front port connects to the oil fill breather. But where does the rear port connect to?

Since you have an emissions car that port would connect to a rubber hose that would (on the other end) attach to the backfire valve mounting of the rear of the intake. Thermactor system

Will hunt up a few pictures and post them ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66RagTop

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 02:27:01 PM »
If I don't install the thermactor system can I just plug the rear hole? Will this have any affect on the engine performance?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
Yes.
No.
However, dyno tests show a horsepower increase of about 10 percent when using an open type air cleaner assembly over the type you are going to use.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »
A picture of the hose from Bob Mannel's book.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 04:45:05 PM »
If I don't install the thermactor system can I just plug the rear hole? Will this have any affect on the engine performance?

Guess you lost me looking at your first post your focus appeared to be - back to original /stock. And since this is the Concours Forum ;)  why not keep or replace the Thermactor system?  Might increaase the cars value and make it something wither you or another could show if they choose to?

Fought with a 66 fastback at one point trying to get the car to run right after I pulled the smog - gave up and connected it all back up. Never noticed any drag on horsepower on the street - its not like these were fast cars to begin with ;)

My current 289 4v "a code" engine is dressed up with a chrome hipo air cleaner and Cobra valve covers. I want to remove these items and restore the look of the engine to a stock finish. ......................

Couple of pictures as promised

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66RagTop

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 05:28:10 PM »
Thanks for the pictures and advice.