Author Topic: 69 Firewall Plastic Wire Fasteners  (Read 1683 times)

Offline G Wood

69 Firewall Plastic Wire Fasteners
« on: November 23, 2013, 06:48:12 PM »
Can anyone provide confirmation of what wires or cables that are attached to the firewall via plastic wire fastener and mount on the 3 small metal pins that are permanent to the firewall (directly behind engine).

I also have a small, white nylon or plastic loop that mounts near the master cylinder on the firewall and I am unsure of that wire of cable this would hold in place.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:59:25 PM by G Wood »
65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Firewall Plastic Wire Fasteners
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
Believe the type of retainer and if the post was used sometimes depends on your application

Never head of a "white" strap other than the opaque one for the hood wiring to firewall/cowl pinch weld  bracket formed in it with the three holes (green arrow)

Have some applications (purple arrow) where there is a black loop while others with the black plastic clip that always breaks

Red arrow is always seems IMHO to hold the windshield washer hoses

Blue & yellow arrows seem to have nothing or black plastic loops. As a side note the pin at location of the yellow arrow does not show up on all 69 Mustangs. Sorry haven't research that difference as of yet

If these are the mounting studs you looking at and if your focusing on your FE 4 speed we can try and focus on that. Hate to post something for an automatic for examples or others reading the post applying the information to another application ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:39:03 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline G Wood

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 01:35:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply Jeff. Specifically I am look for information on the purple, yellow, and blue studs. The car is my Dearborn Mach 1 390, 4 spd car. I am also including the photo of the white or opaque fastener that was mounted on the firewall, 3" from the master cylinder and below the throttle cable mount location.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 06:06:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply Jeff. Specifically I am look for information on the purple, yellow, and blue studs. The car is my Dearborn Mach 1 390, 4 spd car. I am also including the photo of the white or opaque fastener that was mounted on the firewall, 3" from the master cylinder and below the throttle cable mount location.

Where was this located in relationship to the Blue arrow in my picture?

Looked at my pictures and as one could guess allot of that area is often blocked by air cleaners, engines, shock tower supports and other things. Out of the 500 or so Dearborn examples I came up with the following observations.

Didn't find a single car where there was a retainer attached to my yellow arrowed post

At the blue marked post I found the plastic loop retainer for most of the year but at about the time 9F155xxx-9F165xxx and around 9F215xxx I found the J style clip attached there

At the post I have marked in purple I found most of the time the plastic loop style retainer but again I found the J style clip on cars around 9F155xxx & 9F22xxxx  matching somewhat the findings for the blue post mentioned above that the supply (contractor) changed during these period and that the style of clips at these two locations.

As far as what attaches to the purple marked post -  its very confusing at least from what I found - might just be a result of running changes combined with different transmission options.

I found

1- So where a single wire (coming from the loom existing from the hole by the throttle ) was retained there

2- On some other examples I found the single wire plus the neutral safety and back up  set retained there

3- On a few others I found (in this case using the J style clip) the speedo cable attached there while the back up loom attaching to the cowl/firewall pinch weld lip with a typical electrical retainer then traveling directly to the trans

For the blue marked post I sometimes found the windshield wiper wires or a single sire retained there

Hope this helps in some way -

As for you opaque loop it sure looks like an after market nylon retainer i've used in the past. Didn't find any of the cars with a retainer like that but

Examples of the two style of retaining clips I found and referenced in the text

"Loop" Style

"J" Style

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline G Wood

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 09:30:41 PM »
Jeff - the opaque loop was located about 2/3 the distance between the blue arrow and the master cylinder, on the section that curves into the cylinder. I'll sort through the reminder of the information that you have supplied. Thanks very much.