Author Topic: Repro gas caps?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline redmach69

Repro gas caps?
« on: November 20, 2013, 09:46:15 AM »
Hey guys wanted to get some opinions on the repro Mach 1 gas caps out there. I see NPD has one for about $140, CJ's, has two, one $95 and a Scott Drake at $180. Any opinions on which way to go? I am most concerned with something that fits right, more than price. NOS is too expensive and really not for the level of my car. Thanks for opinions.

Offline drummingrocks

Re: Repro gas caps?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 04:18:09 PM »
I have NPD's reproduction on my '69 Mach 1.  Keep in mind that the pop-open gas caps they sell are advertised as "show-only," they're not meant to seal fumes like a modern gas cap does.  As such, they sell these with a small standard gas cap that will fit behind the pop-open portion of the cap, and also include the loose pieces needed to convert it to a true pop-open cap should the owner desire.

I've assembled mine to function like the original cap.  I discarded the small standard gas cap they sent.  Be very careful assembling the unit, especially with the running horse emblem.  It's very easy to wring one of the mounting studs off if you're not careful.  I learned that the hard way.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:53:35 PM »
     I went with the $100.00 version and used only the large/outer chrome trim piece.  I reused my original pop open cap.  The funky separate gas cap suggested to me that it would be better/safer to go with the original set up.  As mentioned the new cap comes with a pony for self install.  I started, the install, and decided I was going to break something if I continued so all that shiny new stuff is sitting in a box.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

priceless

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »
Here's my gas cap on our 69 mach1 that I purchased 7 years ago. Fully functional and got it from NPD.