Author Topic: VIN stamp for a 66 conv  (Read 7442 times)

Offline Rsanter

VIN stamp for a 66 conv
« on: October 31, 2013, 12:55:26 AM »
So after all these years I am trying to get my 66 GT conv put back together and done right this time
This is my high school car and I want it back to what it should be. This can will never be fir sale as it goes to my daughter when all is said and done.
When I got the car it had already been in an accident where they replaced the radiator support and the front aprons. They did a soso job back then and I replaced them again to make the car nicer.
The problem is that I no longer have the VIN numbers showing on the front apron. I had heard at one time there was a guy that would sell you a VIN stamp if you can prove you own the car, which is easy.
But haven't been able to font any info on this.
Can this be done? Who does it?
Yes I am sure there are some legalities somewhere but I just want my car as good as I can get it

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: VIN stamp for a 66 conv
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 02:38:50 AM »
Don't know anyone that currently sells, rents nor loans the correct stamps. One I knew that did stopped after being burn by people using them for not so honest endeavors

Of course the whole subject is looked at as illegal - federally but a subject for other sites and discussions

Sorry I can't be of any assistance at the time
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:40:28 AM »
 The best thing is to contact your state police. Here in Maryland, the State Police would assist in the re-stamping but proof of the correct VIN , (title, etc.) must be shown and the car will have to be made available for the police to do so, (if it's during a restoration then it would have to be towed). This again, was what I have heard locally. 
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 01:00:49 AM »
Here the police will inspect and will attach a state ID tag. That is easy to have done.
But my desire is in effort to make the car more correct or more correct appearing.

Does anyone know of where the star stamp could even be obtained? Are the commercially available letter/number stamps even close to what the factory used. I know the ones I have are not the correct size

Bob
Bob

69 mustang conv 302 AT

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:21:38 PM »
I got a full set of steel stamps on e-bay many years ago. They were described as 1/4 inch, but they are a bit too big, and 3/16 are a bit too small. I think 7/32 would be close, but don't know if that size is made. These stamps may be identified with printers' sizes, aka point, which is a 72nds of an inch (1/4 inch = 18 point, 16 point may be the one). The "star" stamp is very difficult to find, although I imagine that "certain" restorers have methods. As you are in California, don't get caught.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 12:08:13 AM »
Does anyone know of where the star stamp could even be obtained? Are the commercially available letter/number stamps even close to what the factory used. I know the ones I have are not the correct size

There are details about the stamps that are not widely known or shared. Be careful since a bad stamp can mean the loss of the car. In those cases you have to prove its your car (without using the VIN - it only hurts you), not always an easy task

My Father was an auto thief detective for many years and did have a set of the correct stamps at one point that he used for teaching. I guess they were rare since the Feds use to to claim that they were not out there until dad showed up with the set at one of the conferences

A few examples of revining

Ohio version

Florida version

Here the original VIN from the donor panel was erased by the state and a new VIN was assigned
If I recall correctly this car use to be a K code GT until the state determined that car was a Frankenstien
Believe it ended up a A code non- GT. One of a handful I've run across at shows over the years :(

Here the visible VIN was missing so the state added this plate to identify the car

Here is an example of someone getting creative. Not sure if this would be my choice

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:10:51 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 12:55:12 PM »
I like that last one.  Might as well have duct taped it on.   :P

I had an experience with welded in VINs last November in Texas.  Drove all the way down there to buy a nice looking C code fastback, and right off saw they had replaced sections containing the VINs.  The joint between fore and aft inner fenders was gone...smoothed over.  You could also see the welds from the underside.  Don't see the motivation to "fake" a C code.  More likely rust or accident repair, but wasn't worth the liability so walked away.

Yours wouldn't have the welds, but something to consider.  Outside of legal issues, any abnormality with VINs can spook buyers.  I would think more so as you get in to higher value cars, less so if it's run of the mill.  Not sure if it's better to have no VIN vs a restamped one, just something to consider.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:12:05 PM by livetoride60 »
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 05:01:35 PM »
I could live with the car as is but would rather be able to get a correct looking vin back in place.
The car is my high school car and will never be for sale. It will go to my daughter eventually and I suspect she will keep it.
I know the car is worth something but I don't really see this as a super rare or high value car as it is an A code, but it is my favorite of the cars I have.

Bob
Bob

69 mustang conv 302 AT

Offline livetoride60

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 05:07:13 PM »
I know how you feel.  I still have my high school C code coupe. 
'65 K code Fastback, 4sp, San Jose, 10/9/64
'66 C code Coupe, C4, Dearborn, 5/24/66
'67 Fairlane Convertible, 3sp, 200 I6

Offline fast66

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 11:21:10 AM »
If you have the car somewhat apart, would it be possible to make one of the hidden VIN's show?
I remember an old 66 Fastback over here in Sweden where this had been done - the reason in that case was that the visual VIN had the code for a coupe...
just a thought  even if it is not concourse...

Another possibility also done over here... a friend needed to replace the front apron and had the stamps for his VIN only, made. Also did the star stamp IIRC.

br
Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »
     The right side hidden fender vin on my 65.  Left side apron was damaged and replaced long before these vins became so valued.  I used a Dremel tool with a carbide disc to cut the fender out.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline fast66

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 10:42:21 AM »
Brian,
Thats exactly what I meant!
//Claes
6T09K212784
63A 4 25 21B 951384 5 6

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 12:30:42 PM »

"The right side hidden fender vin on my 65.  Left side apron was damaged and replaced long before these vins became so valued.  I used a Dremel tool with a carbide disc to cut the fender out.  Brian"

Outside of creating a NEW VIN# stamp.. Brian's idea is the best... Use the "hidden" VIN as an original VIN...since it IS original...as a last resort.  If the pass side fender is repro..No harm, No foul! - Just cut the notch!

:o)

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 02:24:11 PM »
I think one of the problems here (this subject) is that the laws vary from one country to another as well as there is sometimes what you can get by with and what is legal. My best advise would be to contact your local police (or whom ever oversees this sort of thing in your area) and just a generic question as to how to do this legally and if it can even be done.

This subject, I must say, is one of the biggest cans of worms that gets opened on these sort of forums since everyone has heard, seen or knows of someone that did this or got caught doing that ;) One of the reasons the original poster was having problems finding information on what to do
Jeff Speegle