Author Topic: 67 mustang door hinges  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Ryan Miller

67 mustang door hinges
« on: October 25, 2013, 06:32:24 PM »
I was searching through here the other day and read of a member with an  OCT 66 Dearborn build car with the early style lower cast hinge and  upper hinge is the late style stamped hinge.

My NOV 66 Dearborn S code fastback has this too. ( and the rag joint steering column) They appear original with body color painted hinges/bolts and the bolts match the lower hinges.

My Jan 67 Dearborn A code fastback has the early style upper and lower door hinges and solid style steering column.

Just an observation and I cannot verify 100% as I did not see this car roll down the assembly line.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:43:37 PM by Ryan Miller »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 mustang door hinges
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:16:54 PM »
Yes the change of style/design of the lower door hinges was one of many (likely about 100) running changes Ford made during the 67 production year. The most changes I think of any of the classic years though some would argue that 65 had just as many ;)

Some had specific change over dates while others were transitioned based on parts supply and individual plant differences
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Ryan Miller

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 12:31:28 AM »
Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.  I have spent some time reading posts on this forum and it has a lot of good info.

With the part numbers one should be able to reference the production drawing which should have an RFP (Release For Production date). That should help narrow down the changes to at least not before the RFP date.

This info has been helpful to us in the military jeep circles for Ford and Willys Overland (now owned by Chrysler) Jeeps.  Willys Overland did not keep records as well as ford did. But they only had one factory where ford had several. Ford jeeps thus have been more difficult to track parts changes as supplies where diminished at different rates and the first in/first out of parts supplies adds another layer.

Anyway thanks for all your work on this site and I have found it very helpfull.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 12:39:41 AM »
Unfortunately when Jim assembled (from many different copies from multiple time periods) the Assembly Manuals we ended up with only one printed/published copy. The drawings include things that were never put into production, details that the workers ignored or could not execute due to differences at each plant.  But they do  provide allot of insight and help (glad they were made available)  they are far IMHO from the last word at to how the cars were really built ;) There many of us tend to lean towards what we find and document ;)

Thanks for the kind remarks about the site - hope it provides what your looking for
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Ryan Miller

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 09:58:56 AM »
Jeff,

Yes I really like the assembly manuals and they are a great help.

I think this is a great website and a good reference for those interested in how these cars were produced on the assembly line.

While I don't have or plan to have a concurs correct Mustang, I find this stuff very interesting and when restoring Mustangs, I like to go with more correct parts when I can and use bolt on modifications to improve reliability but can be changed back later if desired.

Thanks again for your work here and to everyone who contributes.   :)