Author Topic: Q-code air cleaner vacuum valve  (Read 852 times)

Offline 70qcode

Q-code air cleaner vacuum valve
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:25:05 PM »
I saw an auction for one of these valves, advertised as original and never used and the plating is zinc dichromate. Usually when you see these they appear silver (painted silver, I think), so were these originally plated zinc dichromate, for 1969 and 1970? Thanks for the help!

Neil

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Q-code air cleaner vacuum valve
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:57:18 PM »
As discussed here many times the gold dye in the process often does not last after all these years leaving just the zinc finish. I'll look at some of the ones I have to see if in the protected area I can still see the dye and get a picture for you. Sure that during this period Bob Perkins will see the thread and comment since he has a number of low mileage 69-70's though age still effect even those cars ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 70qcode

Re: Q-code air cleaner vacuum valve
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:56:13 PM »
Hi Jeff, thanks for the information on the fate of zinc dichromate. I had searched "vacuum valve" and similar and got few results but did not look up "zinc dichromate" so yes there has been some lively activity on that topic recently. I did ring up Hank Huisman about this and he suggested that the one I saw for auction was a service replacement, and that the originally-installed parts were clear (silver) zinc plated.