Author Topic: 1969 Dearborn SCJ Driveshaft markings and evaporust  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Dave Stribling

1969 Dearborn SCJ Driveshaft markings and evaporust
« on: July 22, 2013, 12:30:25 PM »
First off, evaporust works great, but it doesn't work for very long. It is pricey and when you are doing a lot of stuff it gets expensive, but it works.  Working on the markings for a 69 Dearborn built 428 SCJ auto Mach I, which uses the reduced on the ends driveshaft (3.5" in the middle). The build sheet shows DB TN WT for the stripes (dark blue, tan, white). After the bath in the evaporust, I indeed have these stripes, but the Dark blue now looks like light blue, the tan is barely visible and the white is definite.  I have had some reds and oranges come out looking pink before. Rule of thumb - check your build sheet if you have it - evaporust can change the colors on you.
Also found red oxide on the ends, with yellow and orange splashed on as well. As you can see the old Evaporust gave up so I gotta go get more.

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1969 Dearborn SCJ Driveshaft markings and evaporust
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:16:35 PM »
The instructions on the Evapo-Rust says - "To prevent flash rusting, dip the item back into the solution and allow to air dry. This will prevent rust for up to two weeks." Now, I cannot afford to continually dip my bare, Evapo-Rust treated items every two week, so what the statement implies is you MUST apply a surface treatment after using the product. What surface treatment you use could include paint, phosphoric acid, bluing or some type of plating. Yes, Evapo-Rust works, all too well.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 06:58:25 PM »
No this tank was old and used.  These pics are fresh out of the tube - as you can see it stopped working.  Gotta go buy some more!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 12:37:38 AM »
Thanks for sharing Dave ()added to the pile ;)

Agree the Evapo dies fairly quickly but not allot of options right now
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 11:31:33 AM »
I purchased two 55 gallon drums of Evaporust and put in a vat 3 years ago and have dipped more parts than I can remember, it has weakened over time but still works. As far as the product being expensive, it's a bargain compared to other automotive products related to auto body repair. A cheap 5 gallon pal of thinner is over $40.00 and a commercial grade clean up solvent used before painting is $50.00 a gallon and does not last long at all.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007