Author Topic: Bumper Guard and Bumper Bracket Rubber Insulators  (Read 547 times)

Offline 3.25posi

Bumper Guard and Bumper Bracket Rubber Insulators
« on: September 05, 2020, 02:04:07 PM »
The rubber gasket/insulators on these components need to be replaced, but I can't find a source for them, any recommendations.
It appears that the front bumper guards only had the rubber insulator on one end of the guard, is that correct? Or an I missing the ones on the other end?
The front bumper to fender brackets also had a rubber insulator, can't find that one either.
 Thanks in advance, Denny
Mid-March 1966 Fastback

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Bumper Guard and Bumper Bracket Rubber Insulators
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 04:25:12 PM »
what specific year are you inquiring about? suggest you add your car's info to your signature as someone will most likely ask you the same over again. i see that you are new here.............welcome.
5F09C331248

Offline 3.25posi

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 09:14:07 PM »
Sorry, I posted here under the 1966 Mustang category, and I figured that would be enough to identify the year. So..........it's a mid-march 1966, San Jose assembly line fastback. I'm looking for information regarding the rubber grommets or insulators, not sure how they're identified or what they're called, and where to find replacements. If you look at the photos that I attached earlier, you'll see what I'm referring to.
Thanks for the "welcome aboard", I appreciate it. Denny
Mid-March 1966 Fastback

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 09:32:12 PM »
we tend to be very specific here, that's why i suggested adding it to your signature.
5F09C331248

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 12:19:32 AM »
The only replacement is about 5-10x the thickness of originals.  If your original gaskets are in decent shape, I would re-use them.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 01:32:18 AM »
Try AMK Products https://www.amkproducts.com/
Look up part number 378960-S2R and 378711-S2R.
If you haven't got a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals I recommend you consider getting a set.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 12:50:01 PM »
I have made the round insulator clip before using black silicone . They came out well. Pretty straight forward . The clips were typically silver in finish. I used a piece of plexiglass but any slick plastic surface will work I think.  Put a hole in the plastic to pass a washer headed bolt through to later thread into the clip. Put the clip on one side of the slick piece of plastic, with a appropriate daub of black silicone. Then carefully thread washer headed bolt through sandwiching the plastic between washer headed bolt and the clip. As you carefully tighten the bolt it causes the clip to pull down onto the silicone causing the silicone to squeeze out in the appropriate looking circular manner. After the silicone cures you peel the assembly away from the plastic. Like many things there is a learning curve to get it exact looking.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 12:52:10 PM »
AMK sells the clips with a small rubber pad on them for the front bumper to the fender bracket. I think NPD has them listed too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 3.25posi

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 02:06:39 PM »
Thanks for the information and leads on the rubber insulators, I appreciate everyone's help. I begin my search with AMK and NPD. Denny
Mid-March 1966 Fastback