Author Topic: Fuel Sending unit wire inside trunk  (Read 4472 times)

Offline Angela

Fuel Sending unit wire inside trunk
« on: May 31, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »
Through searching within this forum and the owner website links I've found pretty decent info and photos of 69/70 fuel sending unit wires and associated
clips inside the trunk. However, while I'm sure there are photos of 67/68 cars here somewhere, I haven't seen this detail.

Can anyone point me to a photo of how the sending unit wire is affixed inside the trunk of a 1967 SanJose car? I believe my car used two olive-green
clips attached to the leading edge of the fuel tank mounting flange. What I don't know is (1) whether or not the wire inside the trunk was taped down to the
trunk floor on the driver's side and (2) if the 1/4" diameter hole on the driver's side inner wheelhouse was utilized to hold the wire with a zip-tie
similar to what was used on some 69/70 cars.

Last but not least, I've seen some of the yellow fuel sending unit wires protected with an asbestos looking sheath (underneath the car, adjacent to the tank) and some that are not. Is that detail specific to certain years or is it that all cars should have the wire protection yet it rots off at some point?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Fuel Sending unit wire inside trunk
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 05:26:58 PM »
Through searching within this forum and the owner website links I've found pretty decent info and photos of 69/70 fuel sending unit wires and associated
clips inside the trunk. However, while I'm sure there are photos of 67/68 cars here somewhere, I haven't seen this detail.

Can anyone point me to a photo of how the sending unit wire is affixed inside the trunk of a 1967 SanJose car? I believe my car used two olive-green
clips attached to the leading edge of the fuel tank mounting flange.

Depends - we've discussed here somewhere a plastic strip (for lack of a better term) that was installed on some cars but typically yes to clips - will find and post some pictures

What I don't know is (1) whether or not the wire inside the trunk was taped down to the trunk floor on the driver's side ..

Yes - what body style do you have

(2) if the 1/4" diameter hole on the driver's side inner wheelhouse was utilized to hold the wire with a zip-tie similar to what was used on some 69/70 cars.

No

Last but not least, I've seen some of the yellow fuel sending unit wires protected with an asbestos looking sheath (underneath the car, adjacent to the tank) and some that are not. Is that detail specific to certain years or is it that all cars should have the wire protection yet it rots off at some point?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 05:38:54 PM »
"Yes - what body style do you have"?   
----> Fastback, built at SanJose

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 06:25:28 PM »
The plastic thing (extrusion?) was under the car. In the trunk was a lot of tape strips and a two offset "J" clips using the gas tank retaining screws at either end of the tank at the front.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 07:13:24 PM »
First have not seen any of the fuel sender wires with a protective coating like normally found on oil pressure sending wires

Typically the fuel sender wire is retainer to the drivers side wheel housing (over the rubber luggage protective strip) with a wire slip on clip. Typically like the ones used to the tank support under the car though a few of the all plastic big S shaped one

Typically one or two strips of wide tape held the wire to the trunk floor on the drivers side as shown in the pictures and ..........

......one smaller piece of tape above the gas tank on the passenger side of the trunk floor. No J clips/retainers used.

From there the wire exists the trunk through a grommeted hole on the passenger side and is retained to the body (on the way to the sending unit) typically by two coated wire clips attached to the gas tank opening edge

Hope this helps illustrate the normal practices related to your subject for a late 67 San Jose built fastback

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:26:21 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Angela

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 08:18:26 PM »
Thanks a ton for posting the pictures Jeff!!  To be sure I follow, your comments and pictures are stating that in general:
(a) The sending unit wire is affixed to the driver's side wheel housing using a clip which may be the same as the olive green clips found underneath the fuel tank lip, -OR- using the large plastic clips similar to those used elsewhere (such as the GT fog lamp wiring)
(b) The remaining portion of the sending unit wire is held to the trunk floor with 1-2" wide strips of black tape
(c) The wire is attached to the bottom of the car using one or two olive-green clips affixed to the leading edge of the fuel tank lip.

Do I have this straight?

Is the tape more like duct tape or electrical tape? I really should have kept a piece of the old tape during tear-down.....

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 10:34:38 PM »
Thanks a ton for posting the pictures Jeff!!  To be sure I follow, your comments and pictures are stating that in general:
(a) The sending unit wire is affixed to the driver's side wheel housing using a clip which may be the same as the olive green clips found underneath the fuel tank lip, -OR- using the large plastic clips similar to those used elsewhere (such as the GT fog lamp wiring)

For your time period I would go with the rubber coated olive dyed clip like the ones used on the wire by the sender

(b) The remaining portion of the sending unit wire is held to the trunk floor with 1-2" wide strips of black tape

4" wide at the drivers side - 4"-2" (just torn in half) on the passenger

(c) The wire is attached to the bottom of the car using one or two olive-green clips affixed to the leading edge of the fuel tank lip.

Have normally seen two of the olive dyed rubber dipped clips there

Is the tape more like duct tape or electrical tape? I really should have kept a piece of the old tape during tear-down.....

Its a fabric tape (non glossy) I use a graffer/graffer's tape
Jeff Speegle