Author Topic: 70 Hurst backup lamp switch - won't stay put  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Dave Stribling

70 Hurst backup lamp switch - won't stay put
« on: May 10, 2013, 12:28:29 PM »
Bought an aftermarket switch and new little ring thingy, and the switch keeps backing out - the little tabs are not holding it in place.  Put the original switch back in and same gig. Other than a dab of glue, anyone got an idea how to keep this wonderful piece of engineering in place? - Dave

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

Re: 70 Hurst backup lamp switch - won't stay put
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 01:38:12 AM »
Put the thing in neutral and push the bracket forward as far as it will go, hold it for 30 seconds.  When it springs back it should rest at a location which will enable the reverse arm to depress the switch.  If that does not work, then the bracket is work hardened in which case you must use right angle needle nose plyers and hold it with one plyer and tweak it with another to get it where you need it.  The bracket is too flimsly to begin with, which is surprising given the sturdyness of the Hurst unit.  Good luck.

Offline 70cj428

Re: 70 Hurst backup lamp switch - won't stay put
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 01:40:52 PM »
Hi Dave, I'm assuming you are working with a factory 70 shifter ? , if so, is the switch popping out of the clip, or is the clip popping out of the shifter ?

If the clip is popping out of the shifter when you put it in reverse, did you install the clip from the lever side or the switch side of the shifter ?  The assembly drawings show it going in from the outside of the shifter, but every original car I've disassembled has the clip installed from the lever side where it can't pop out of the shifter. Make sure the tab on the clip is in the larger groove in the tab on the shifter, and the slot in the clip lines up with the smaller, rounded groove. Then install the switch with the rib in the slot from the outside of the shifter tab and push the switch all the way in.  The first time you put the car in reverse (gently) the switch should adjust itself. 

If the clip is installed correctly and the switch still pops out of the clip, try slightly bending the tabs on the clip that align with the teeth in the switch...

Don't try to bent the tab on the shifter  the clip goes in as the previous poster suggested, there's no reason to, and unless your king kong you won't bend it with your finger anyway ( I think he's working with an aftermarket switch/shifter setup)

I'll try and post some pic's.......     John
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:49:44 PM by 70cj428 »