Author Topic: Rubber seal between front floor pan and rocker panel  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Turnbacktheclock

Rubber seal between front floor pan and rocker panel
« on: April 16, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »
I have a 66 GT coupe, VIN 6R07A203321, with a problem in the upper left corner of the driver's floor pan. Some damage separated the seam between the floor pan and the inside of the rocker panel. The fix appears pretty straight forward except for the piece of rubber that is sticking out from the site where the joint is separated. It appears to be a length of "rubber" with a rectangular cross section that was positioned between the flange of the floor pan and the side of the rocker panel prior to welding. It is hidden from view under the sheet metal except at the point of separation. I've never seen this kind of "hard seal" used between welded panels. It might be that I'm mis-interpereting what I am seeing. Maybe its sealant that was squeezed into a rectangular channel and only looks like a "hard seal".

I've attached a photo that I hope is good enough to see what I'm describing. Has anyone seen something similar.

Thanks,

Offline rocket289k

Re: Rubber seal between front floor pan and rocker panel
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »
Hi there,

I can only speak to my late build '65 GT Coupe but I had nothing like that in that area when performing a similar repair.  See attached photo.

Ron

1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline Turnbacktheclock

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »
I guess I'll see better once I start cutting out the bad metal. Maybe its not so much at the floor pan/rocker joint but might be along the firewall/rocker panel-cowl joint.

I noticed that your new floor pan looks much better formed than the piece I just bought. I got the short (Canadian) version as I just wanted to use the corner of it. I was disappointed that the ribs were not fully formed and that the flange along the rocker side was turned down instead of up.

How long ago did you do this work and where did you get your sheet metal from?

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:41:02 PM »
I guess I'll see better once I start cutting out the bad metal. Maybe its not so much at the floor pan/rocker joint but might be along the firewall/rocker panel-cowl joint.

I noticed that your new floor pan looks much better formed than the piece I just bought. I got the short (Canadian) version as I just wanted to use the corner of it. I was disappointed that the ribs were not fully formed and that the flange along the rocker side was turned down instead of up.

How long ago did you do this work and where did you get your sheet metal from?

The work was done about year and half ago.  I purchased the sheet metal from two different vendors.  I purchased the toe boards (that connect the floorboards to the firewall) from Mustangs Unlimited in April of 2011.

FLOOR TO FIREWALL PANEL LH SIDE 65/70 - http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Itemdy01.asp?T1=88126%2001&Category=&CatKey=EMUSTANG

FLOOR TO FIREWALL PANEL RH SIDE 65/70  - http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Itemdy01.asp?T1=99126%2001&Category=&CatKey=EMUSTANG

After I stripped paint and sandblasted the body we discovered very small pinholes in spots on the floors so I decide to purchase a left and right side full floors.  I purchased the full floors from Virginia Classic Mustang in mid June 2011. 

SM179L - 65-70 LH COUPE/FASTBACK 1 PIECE FULL FLOOR PAN - http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-70-LH-COUPEFASTBACK-1-PIECE-FULL-FLOOR-PAN-P4166.aspx

SM179R - 65-70 RH COUPE/FASTBACK 1 PIECE FULL FLOOR PAN - http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-70-RH-COUPEFASTBACK-1-PIECE-FULL-FLOOR-PAN-P4167.aspx

I was extremely happy with the quality of all 4 pieces of sheetmetal.  The stampings were very good and they provided a nice amount of overlap material as well.  The only difference in the pieces was the full length floor drain holes were about 1/2 out of alignment (see attached picture).  The sheetmetal was made in Canada but I can't remember the name of the manufacturer.
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open