Author Topic: Wind out of my Sails  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Sam Cro

Wind out of my Sails
« on: April 11, 2013, 11:00:27 PM »
Well after gathering All my Numbers from my 1966 Mustang and checking them very close several times . I have been Gut punched it is NOT An all original car .here it is

1966 Mustang
Classic Mustang Decoder Results

Warranty Number: 6T07A191996
Year:    6    1966
Plant:    T    Metuchen, NJ
Body Series:   07   2 Door Hardtop
Engine:    A   289 4v V8
Unit:    191996    191996

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data

Body:    65A    2 Door Hardtop, Standard Interior
Color:    Y    Silver Blue Metallic
Trim:    26    Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Rosette Vinyl, Standard Interior
Date:    18A    January 18, 1966
D.S.O:    21    Atlanta
Axle:    1    3.00:1, Conventional
Trans:    5    4-Speed Manual

Trans: HEK AD
Diff: WCZ-F 3.00 6AA 931
Engine: 289 C66 10 6-A 250-5

Now Here is the Car as I bought it 

missed the code on the door "Y"  a paint job that was done perfect or the door tag does not match one .

I have to get the Buck tag info and see what it says  >:(

Sam

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Wind out of my Sails
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 12:00:15 AM »
Welcome to the site hope you find it useful and your focused on highly detailed discussions of original features ;)

Take it from the site name your a fan of the TV show?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Sam Cro

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:13:12 AM »
Well My Name is Samuel Cro has been that way for 42 years much longer then the Show .

Everything on the car shows to be original paint also there is no over spray any where I am in hopes the Buck /body tag will show it as the red that is on it and that someone just messed with the Door tag as it has red behind it also . Now looks like I will be digging into the Car very deep to look for any sign of a build sheet as well as any type of paint change . at least it is still a matching #'s A Code car.

Sam 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 12:28:03 AM »
It wouldn't be unusual for the car to have been totally taken down to a bare shell, painted with no parts on it and then put back together as original.  I see an MCA windshield decal, maybe a past concours restoration?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Jack65K

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 12:40:32 PM »
You might also try looking under the carpet to see what color the floor pans are - would have been painted the original body color at the factory and many times is not repainted in restoration.
Jack
65 K Code Coupe, Vintage Burgundy/White Vinyl Top & Black Interior
04 GT Convertible, Redfire Clearcoat/White Top and Oxford White Interior

Offline Sam Cro

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 02:37:15 PM »
Thank you folks I will look and see what else i can find out about it .

Sam

Offline Sam Cro

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »
Ok so the Buck / Body Tag Says it should be Silver Blue Metallic also . Now for the Awesome News There is the Build sheet attached to the wiring harness behind the dash ,after standing on my head and a very small light I found it .Now i have to remove the cluster and see about getting it .

New Up Date I have the Build Sheet in Hand I does appear to have been an Original Silver Blue Metallic and HAS been Restored at some time long ago it was a special order car and delivered to Atlanta, GA . with Black interior not Blue as it should have been from the speck sheet  the Repaint is done Extremely correct with no color change visible except for the tags Do Not Match the color of the car .   

Sam
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:52:40 PM by Sam Cro »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 09:48:17 PM »
............... it was a special order car and delivered to Atlanta, GA . with Black interior not Blue as it should have been from the speck sheet ..............

Great find and that with the buck tag surely answers allot of questions. What makes you think the car was special ordered??
Jeff Speegle

Offline Sam Cro

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 12:34:24 PM »

Great find and that with the buck tag surely answers allot of questions. What makes you think the car was special ordered??

the Build sheet shows that the interior color was ordered Black instead of the blue that normally would have been light blue by the owner .

Sam   

Offline Jays66gt

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 01:30:10 PM »
Maybe I am confused.  Did you just buy it under the guise that it was 100% correct?  Or have you had the car for some time and just now got around to looking the numbers up?

Regardless I think you have a fine Mustang that anyone would welcome to their stable.
1966 GT
6R07A105XXX
San Jose car delivered to Denver in September 1965.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 01:40:40 PM »
the Build sheet shows that the interior color was ordered Black instead of the blue that normally would have been light blue by the owner .

Not sure what you mean from that post. The car was built according to the buildsheet and the color blue or black is what was ordered. There was no requirement to have certain interior colors with certain exterior colors and the choose was simply indicated on the order form no special order was required for choosing an interior color.

If it was a special order car the DSO on the door tag (notation on the buildsheet also DSO and bottom of page) would indicate a 6 digit DSO rather than the typical two digit one (example - 72 DSO verses 720023)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Sam Cro

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 10:11:04 PM »
Maybe I am confused.  Did you just buy it under the guise that it was 100% correct?  Or have you had the car for some time and just now got around to looking the numbers up?

Regardless I think you have a fine Mustang that anyone would welcome to their stable.

I just got the car about a month ago from Va and got sick from the trip bad flu just got over it and finally got to look at all the numbers . it was presented as an All Original car and for the most part it is very close to concourse correct less the paint .

Sam