Author Topic: Suspension Finishes - 66 SJ  (Read 3592 times)

Offline rusty nuts

Suspension Finishes - 66 SJ
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:14:49 PM »
Hi, I'm wondering what type of finishes to apply the suspension components for a San Jose 66 GT convertible.
Upper and Lower control arms (Dipped - half black/natural?)
and the following if they're black or natural?
Spindles
Front springs
Castor rods
Tie rod, idler/pitman arms
Sway bar
Cross member
and anything else I may have missed...

or is there a reliable source specific to '66 (and plant - SJ) that I can find this out from, I've look at "How to restore your mustang" book but it groups the finishes for 64-66, I want to do the finishes once and right.

Thanks,
Troy
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 04:58:26 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Suspension Finishes
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:16:21 PM »
Hi, I'm wondering what type of finishes to apply the suspension components for a San Jose 66 GT convertible.
Upper and Lower control arms (Dipped - half black/natural?)

Dipped yes - not "half way" more 2/3's :)

and the following if they're black or natural?

Spindles - Heat treated bare steel with bare machined surfaces (about 8) - check out (use search - try natural and gun bluing) the many treads and some articles in the library. Plenty of how to do it stuff here

Front springs - Heat treated bare steel

Castor rods - Not sure what that is

Tie rod, idler/pitman arms - Bare heat treated steel with natural machined surfaces. Tie rods with bare natural steel rear caps

Sway bar - Semi gloss black

Cross member - Must be the #2 removable one - gloss black

and anything else I may have missed...

Well strut rods (heat treated w/machined, phoshate washers , steering box - search should help there - allot of different surfaces and finishes ,

or is there a reliable source specific to '66 (and plant - SJ) that I can find this out from.....

You found it ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rusty nuts

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 12:24:31 AM »
Castor rods - Not sure what that is
Referring to the rod that's bolted to the lower control arm to chassis (near/under radiator support)

You found it ;)
It's my first and only stop here, thanks Jeff, appreciate it!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 12:38:50 AM »
Referring to the rod that's bolted to the lower control arm to chassis (near/under radiator support)

= strut rods
Jeff Speegle

Offline rusty nuts

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 05:56:10 AM »
ahh yes
Also Jeff what is your experience with the dipped paint on the lower control arm I'm stuggling to find any evidence of it at all, it must not last too well? All I did was give this one quick once over in the parts washer.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »
May have been re[laced at one point by service replacements - not  all of those were dipped like assembly line ones

Here are some pictures

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 05:39:25 PM »
ahh yes
Also Jeff what is your experience with the dipped paint on the lower control arm I'm stuggling to find any evidence of it at all, it must not last too well? All I did was give this one quick once over in the parts washer.
Just to add further confirmation to what Jeff posted ,for years many of the service parts (upper and lowers) were not dipped but had the black oxide /gun bluing plating . It protected just enough to not rust easy on the shelves. That may or may not explain what you have.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 10:21:04 PM »
The question is, "is it worth putting in the time to getting the originals up to scratch, or buy the (drake) concours replacement?"

I guess it's up to the owner on how far they want to go, obviously reusing the original outweighs repros, it's the time factor  that weighs in.

Another side question in regards to original ball joints, will shoving as much grease into the boot be enough to lubricate the joint seeing they didn't have a grease nipple?
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 10:29:02 PM »
Original upper and lower control ball joints had holes for grease fittings.  Factory units would have had a plug in the hole instead of a zerk fitting.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rusty nuts

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »
while on the subject what finish are the tie rod sleeves and the clamps, nuts and bolts that hold them in place. A pic would be great if someone has one.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 12:36:02 AM »
while on the subject what finish are the tie rod sleeves and the clamps, nuts and bolts that hold them in place. A pic would be great if someone has one.
Sleeves and clamps are bare steel.Starting with nice unpitted cores I blast them (or stripe with evaporrust) and then tumble them in steel shot for a as new finish.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby