Author Topic: Original J code Engine Color - two toned??  (Read 1861 times)

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
Original J code Engine Color - two toned??
« on: August 05, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »
I saw a question on VMF about an engine being 2 tones of blue, and i dismissed it, until i started cleaning up my engine and found the same thing... my engine was very original, and i was as surprised as the other guy to see the block was a lighter blue to the rest...

the engine was a San Jose J code, the block casting date is 7L8. were the blocks painted before delivery for engine building?

the pics on the VMF thread show it the best. whats your thoughts?

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/concours-forum/628554-correct-color-68-302-engine.html

San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Original J code Engine Color - two toned??
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »
The only difference in tones I've seen were components painted separately like air cleaners/snorkels/lids. I suspect the difference is either a PO repainting valve covers or the way the heat affects the paint of the block/heads vs the valve covers
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 09:11:23 PM »
I was yhinking possible heat related issues. I  dont think my paintis as light as the pic. I will get my own pic up shprtly
I
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:52:17 PM »
Agree with TLea, would be typical for bolt-on parts to be a different shade.  Also consider that the amount of paint applied can alter the appearance.  Engines typically had just enough paint sprayed on to cover the surfaces.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 10:08:46 PM »
if you found an original engine like these ones with color differences, would you colour match, or spray one colour?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 11:58:07 PM »
The block was sprayed as an assembly, usually with the valve covers attached.  I would do the complete long block one color and possibly change up the mixture slightly for the air cleaner and snorkel.  If you have nice original parts, wouldn't hurt to try and color match.  But, remember what I posted about thickness of paint changing appearance.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
if you found an original engine like these ones with color differences, would you colour match, or spray one colour?

In the case of the valve covers - paint then all the same.

Got to ask - are all the decals (engine ID, emissions) still there and not tapped around? Sure looks (of course we're only seeing these in pictures)  like a touch up

For the other items painted at other providers I agree with Charles suggestions if your going all the way ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)