Author Topic: Interior blue color codes  (Read 3127 times)

Offline ag_ghost

Interior blue color codes
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:25:25 PM »
Hello,
My first post asking for help.  A friend is restoring a '66 Convertible as a surprise for his wife; she's always pined for"baby blue with a Pony interior".  Although he found a relatively rust free California car with its black plates, it started life with a D9 standard interior followed up a half-hearted early attempt to convert to a deluxe / pony interior (wrong window and door handles on a nominal deluxe door panel for example).

It's relatively easy to decode "F" for exterior "Arcadian Blue".  And, I think H2 would be the vin tag coding for a "deluxe" blue and white interior.   We've also figured out the door panels are white, along with the lower metal part of the dash.

But, what blue is closest for the console and outer parts of the interior doors?

I can't tell from this paint chip page I found here:
http://www.mainemustang.com/mustang-info/1966-mustang-technical-data/1966-mustang-interior-paint-chart

and have spent the last hour searching this forum but I've failed so far.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Kevin
'66 Plain C-code coupe.  Original black California plates still in place.  Can't guarantee it's original, but the block and heads are within a month of the scheduled assembly date in San Jose/Milpitas.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Interior blue color codes
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:16:13 PM »
Guess we need to post the whole set in the library

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ag_ghost

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:25:26 AM »
Thank you!
Will look at library in future.
Kevin
'66 Plain C-code coupe.  Original black California plates still in place.  Can't guarantee it's original, but the block and heads are within a month of the scheduled assembly date in San Jose/Milpitas.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:52:57 AM »
Kevin,
  You got quite a mix of information and maybe goals. Are you trying to follow Ford's interior color combinations for your project? In any case, code "H2" doesn't appear in any documentation I have. Code "62" is the blue and white deluxe combination code for 66 which you may be referring to.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ag_ghost

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 02:52:05 PM »
Thanks I've seen the number 62 as well in places.. 

But I didn't make up "H2".  I pulled it from the bottom of page 1-4 (lower left, second line from last) in the '66 Factory Service Manaual, which I realize could be wrong.

Code 62 on that page is only described as "Blue Vinyl" while H2 is described as "White Vinyl W/Blue"; I was trying to guess what the VIN tag would say.  In any event, the color chart was exactly what I was hoping to find.

Sorry I didn't describe the goals well.  My friend's goal boils down to surprising his wife with a "nice but not concours baby blue 65 or 66 convertible with a pony interior" (their words I've heard over the years).  Another friend is project-managing the whole thing while I'm sort of on the sidelines doing background research as I've been around Mustangs since the mid-70s and have strong views that if you're gonna do it, you might was well be as close to period correct as is practical.  It won't be for show and will likely be driven only in nice weather a few times a month.

The "mix" you astutely observed is a combination of my strong views on originality in contrast that repro is "good enough".  Don't get me started on how cheesy I think the repro deluxe steering wheel or the so-called "Trico" wipers look. :D

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 08:38:56 PM »
Kevin,
  I found the code "H2" listed in the 1965 soft trim section for Fairlane in the Ford Car Parts manual. No "H" prefic codes show up in 1966, only in 1965, so why they are listed in the service manual is anyones guess, and code "62" in the service manual is also incorrect in its color combination (or lack of). Code "62" is the one you want, white crinkle vinyl and light blue crinkle vinyl. I'll try for some pictures of my 66 Fastback that is code "62" later.
Thanks I've seen the number 62 as well in places.. 

But I didn't make up "H2".  I pulled it from the bottom of page 1-4 (lower left, second line from last) in the '66 Factory Service Manaual, which I realize could be wrong.

Code 62 on that page is only described as "Blue Vinyl" while H2 is described as "White Vinyl W/Blue"; I was trying to guess what the VIN tag would say.  In any event, the color chart was exactly what I was hoping to find.

Sorry I didn't describe the goals well.  My friend's goal boils down to surprising his wife with a "nice but not concours baby blue 65 or 66 convertible with a pony interior" (their words I've heard over the years).  Another friend is project-managing the whole thing while I'm sort of on the sidelines doing background research as I've been around Mustangs since the mid-70s and have strong views that if you're gonna do it, you might was well be as close to period correct as is practical.  It won't be for show and will likely be driven only in nice weather a few times a month.

Certain items are white, the console for one, the door panels, dash, visors - others are blue, inside door metal, the carpet, dash pad, seat belts - the seats are a combination white and blue. The top should be white but that's a function of the outside paint code.

The "mix" you astutely observed is a combination of my strong views on originality in contrast that repro is "good enough".  Don't get me started on how cheesy I think the repro deluxe steering wheel or the so-called "Trico" wipers look. :D
You get what you pay for. I usually guide new people away from some repro stuff, recomend other items, recondition what can be reconditioned, or have them send stuff to an outside facility. It all depends on their wallet size and goals.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 04:15:09 PM »
Kevin,
  Some pictures of my code "62" interior Fastback.
Jim

Offline ag_ghost

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 11:54:03 PM »
Very nice; will help a lot.
Thank you.
Kevin