Author Topic: Another decal thread. Application Technique  (Read 535 times)

Offline 65Val

Another decal thread. Application Technique
« on: May 22, 2020, 03:43:46 PM »
Hey gang...About to start on installing the engine compartment decals for our '66 Dearborn coupe. I think I have a decent idea of where they all go...just need to know if they can be installed using the "water" method for fine adjustment (spraying water on the surface, placing and adjusting the decal, and finally squeezing out the water with a squeegee)...especially the bigger ones?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:33:27 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline ChrisV289

Re: Another decal thread....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 04:21:22 PM »
No I think they are just peel and stick..
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline 65Val

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 05:06:57 PM »
Yes, I know, but some decals can be placed using water to enable adjusting them to exactly the right place, then squeegee'ing the water out to set permanently.  If you just "peel and stick", they might not end up where you want them.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 05:08:51 PM »
I’m unaware of any decals in the engine compartment being this way.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 08:45:58 PM »
Think your over thinking it. Misaligned (not perfect) applications were typical and depending on decal some are not applied to smooth surfaces so they are going to float in some areas while laying flat in others.

For larger exterior decals/stripes many of us use water with a little Dawn or other additives but that is a whole 'nother subject

Many of the reproduction stickers have the backing split so that you can position the decal to get it where you want. Hold one side down in place while you removed the backing on the other side. Roll the decal from the side your holding in place out to the end of the sticky side and press. The fold carefully back the unstick side, remove that backing then roll the fresh side back onto the object out to that end.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:57:44 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 09:07:36 PM »
no. they are not made to install that way. peel and stick.
5F09C331248

Offline 65Val

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 07:46:30 PM »
Think your over thinking it. Misaligned (not perfect) applications were typical and depending on decal some are not applied to smooth surfaces so they are going to float in some areas while laying flat in others.

For larger exterior decals/stripes many of us use water with a little Dawn or other additives but that is a whole 'nother subject

Many of the reproduction stickers have the backing split so that you can position the decal to get it where you want. Hold one side down in place while you removed the backing on the other side. Roll the decal from the side your holding in place out to the end of the sticky side and press. The fold carefully back the unstick side, remove that backing then roll the fresh side back onto the object out to that end.

Thanks Jeff...I'll try that method. I was really only concerned with the larger ones...shock tower silver one, etc....