Author Topic: Fastback Upper quarter vent details  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Angela

Fastback Upper quarter vent details
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:15:05 PM »
Concerning the upper quarter panel vents used in fastbacks, I need some help restoring the three pieces:

(1) The outside steel piece which is obviously visable from the exterior of the car, is of course painted body color. This piece I think is easy to restore. :-)
(2) Directly behind #1 is a flat metal "mesh" screen which is visible if you get up close to the vent and look in between the vents. I believe, but am not 100% certain, that piece should also be painted body color. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
(3) The third piece of the exterior portion of these vents is what troubles me. I find that this last piece is either plastic or cast steel (both have the same fomoco part #). What I don't know is if that inner piece should be black or body color and I need some help. Regardless of color, if anyone has a tip on repainting the plastic version of this piece, I'd appreciate it. My car had the plastic pieces and even if they're supposed to be black, after 46 years they're not really black anymore... more grey than anything.

Thanks!

Offline ruppstang

Re: Fastback Upper quarter vent details
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:30:13 AM »
1. Body color
2. Body color
3. C723-63278054-5 baffle I believe is black plastic, I have never have seen a new one. Most are as you said grey with body color from a respray.
I would try 0000 steel wool and some vinyl conditioner and see if that removes the oxidised material. If not I would scuff and spray with a semi gloss black.
Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:55:05 PM »
Krylon makes a black for plastics (textured and non-textured) Get a can of the non-textured and use it after you follow Marty's instructions about cleaning
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:53:57 AM »
SEM vinyl dye is fine to use on plastic parts also...
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin