Author Topic: Dearborn '66: Factory Installed A/C questions  (Read 1727 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Dearborn '66: Factory Installed A/C questions
« on: January 09, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »
I'm trying to trace down a few details on my Dearborn-built '66 fastback, built December 8th, 1965.  It's a factory A/C car, and the system was all there when I bought the car.  However, I didn't take enough pictures of a few features before taking it all apart, and now I'm struggling with a few issues.

1. From the interior, it appears like the wire to the ignition switch and the wire through the firewall for the compressor feed are extremely long.  The assembly manual shows a retaining clip on the inside of the firewall, but I don't remember ever seeing anything like that or taking anything like that loose.  Both wires coming off of the underdash unit appear original and have the correct insulation and terminals; it just seems the wiring harness is overly long.  I may simply be misunderstanding how the harness is supposed to be routed under the dash.  Regarding the retaining clip in the assembly manual and the lack of one on my car, it's been several years since I first restored the car, but I just don't remember any kind of clip--is this one of those cases where the assembly manual doesn't match what really happened on the assembly line? 

2. Where the clutch feed wire passes through the firewall and into the engine bay, there is a hole in the correct place that is punched, not drilled.  I found some old photos of the car when I first bought it, and the clutch feed wire was just hanging loose where it passed through the firewall, with no grommet, sealer, or anything else to keep water out.  Did this wire have a grommet originally, or did it use some kind of sealant?  It seems like it would be tough to make a grommet seal up with the way the hole is punched in the firewall.

3. Did Ford have any kind of in-line fuse on the wire that connects the ignition switch to the blower motor? I have an in-line fuse, but I'm not sure it was factory installed (it does seem like a good idea, though).

4.  I've seen in NPD's catalog that there are differences between reproduction and original A/C hose diameters.  I purchased what I thought was the correct firewall grommet to seal the hoses to the firewall, but after installing it, I could still use some sealer around the hoses to make things air and water tight.  How did Ford seal these originally, or did they simply install the rubber firewall grommet and let it go at that?

5. Was there an intermediate wire that connected the firewall clutch feed plug to the A/C compressor clutch feed?  From what I remember, the original wire coming off of the compressor didn't seem long enough to reach all the way back to the firewall to plug in.

Thanks for any and all help!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:24:01 PM by drummingrocks »
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Dearborn '66: Factory Installed A/C questions
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:18:40 PM »
There is usually a grommet where the a/c feed goes through the firewall, similar to the windshield washer pump wiring.  There is usually a female plug that comes out and then another wire that connects from there to the compressor clutch brushes.

Yes, there should be an inline fuse.  The a/c wiring was just an add-on harness for 65-66.  The power comes directly from the back of the ignition switch stud with an eyelet on the end of the wire.  From there, an inline fuse, white plastic casing and it goes to the under dash unit.

On a factory installed a/c system, there might be some spray sealer used around where the hoses go through, the same sealer used on the rest of the firewall.  The original grommets were fairly tight though, don't recall seeing daylight through any, even old ones.  You might want to find an original grommet and use original hoses.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 11:35:05 PM »
Charles, thanks for the help!  I didn't think anyone made a reproduction of the '66 A/C harness, but I found this at Tony Branda's site:

I'm still trying to figure out how the blower motor wires route under the dash.  The picture in the '66 shop manual isn't great, but it helps somewhat.  I've searched all over trying to find a better/larger picture, but I didn't have any luck.  Again, I don't remember my car ever having this clip under the dash, but I can't be 100% sure.

Can anyone verify if this is the correct, factory installed clip that they're showing on inside of the firewall?  Again, I'm wondering if this is something that's only in the assembly manual, and whether it differs from what actually happened on the production line.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 11:52:53 PM »
That looks like the correct a/c wiring harness. 

The lead wire usually comes out above the unit and snakes over to the ignition switch power wire.  From there, it goes back to the firewall.  Sometimes the wires are wrapped around the A/C hoses behind the dash and then the pigtail goes through the firewall.

The big plastic clip pictured has nothing to do with your A/C harness.  That clip is used in a couple other places.  For instance, on coupes/fastbacks, it is used to hold up the main wiring harness.  Then, it's used up above the LH kick panel to hold the main harness up where it feeds into the engine bay on the back corner.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:20:45 AM »
Thanks again, Charles.  I think I've got enough of an idea to make it work now.