Author Topic: 1970 Rear Axle Indicator marks  (Read 1541 times)

Offline app01

• Make Your Car Stand Out with A Custom Showboard from
1970 Rear Axle Indicator marks
« on: January 26, 2013, 09:11:40 AM »
May 15, Dearborn B2
3:50 Track-Lok rear

Looking at the archives I came across the great information on rear axle detailing, however, I do have a few questions:

1. For the indicator markings at the rear brake distribution block as well as the vent hose, did this paint mark go completely around the tube, front/rear face only, etc.?

2. For these marks, is the paint color green or blue? I have come across conflicting info.

3. Did most/all axles have both the vent tube as well as brake block hole marked?

4. Rubber vent hose: Was the yellow paint daub on assembly line hoses (I have seen NOS ones with this mark)? If yes, did it actually indicate where the body support clamp should go or was it just marked somewhere near the end?

Reference pictures would be helpful.

Thanks
Tony
Currently own:
1970 Boss 302 - Yellow- May 1970, Dearborn
1970 Mach 1 -Sept 1969, Metuchen
1962 Corvette 340hp

Previously Owned:
1967 Mustang Convertible (My 1st car)
1970 Mach 1 (my 2nd car)
1989 GT
1969 Mach 1 (<29k miles, Unrestored, MCA Gold)-sold in 2012

MCA #62598

www.PalmieriConcepts.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Rear Axle Indicator marks
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »
Those viewing - remember this is in response to spring 70 Dearborn BOSS 302 production your may be different so ask - don't copy ;)

May 15, Dearborn B2
3:50 Track-Lok rear

Looking at the archives I came across the great information on rear axle detailing, however, I do have a few questions:

1. For the indicator markings at the rear brake distribution block as well as the vent hose, did this paint mark go completely around the tube, front/rear face only, etc.?

2. For these marks, is the paint color green or blue? I have come across conflicting info.

The mark (all the originals I've seen) typically are marked on the top (looks to be moving the brush from front to rear) sometimes producing a paint run that could travel a bit downward

Only seen a bright (like grabber) blue

3. Did most/all axles have both the vent tube as well as brake block hole marked?

One the originals I have pictures (your application with two holes)  yes

4. Rubber vent hose: Was the yellow paint daub on assembly line hoses (I have seen NOS ones with this mark)? If yes, did it actually indicate where the body support clamp should go or was it just marked somewhere near the end?

Few original hoses remain in good shape with the mark so I've seen very few to document though the mark is fairly well accepted IMHO currently. If you do mark your hose beware that certain types of paint will not agree well with the current reproduction rubber hose (seen them shrink the dia of the hose by a third) so test ;)

The vent hose mark does seem to correspond well with the clamp in most applications (part is not specific to Mustang)

Email me and I'll attach some pictures if that will help

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)