Author Topic: 67 390 GT Emissions  (Read 2570 times)

Offline silver7

67 390 GT Emissions
« on: January 12, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »
HI Guys
              Could you tell me if i require a Thermactor its a December 66 build  San Jose 390 GT closed crank emission system and exhaust emission control if so would anyone have some photos of the layout many thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 390 GT Emissions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 10:38:35 PM »
Did the information your included in your first post come from a Marti report?

"exhaust emission control"?

IF so then the car was designed to be delivered with the Thermactor system. Lots of parts and supporting parts if your missing everything. There are also about 6 running changes during the production year so dates and details are important if you want to get things right. It's difficult to piece together a system as your likely to get one piece from one time period and another from a different time period.

Respond back and I'll try and lead you through this but for starts - do your cylinder heads have the provisions for the Thermactor tubes (often plugged after a PO removed the system) ?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline silver7

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 03:22:45 PM »
Hi Jeff ,Thanks for the reply i did get the information of the Marti report ,where roughly are the  Thermactor tubes blocked off are they a thread in the cylinder head ? thanks again

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:03:59 AM »
Thermactor tubes blocked off are they a thread in the cylinder head ? thanks again

Four in each head when an owner removes the tubes or an owner uses the heads on a non-thermactor car.

The 67 engine assembly manuals have a number of drawings of the system though there are a few little differences between those and how the cars were built it would give you a starting point

Not easy to show a complete system since one in the car there is allot of other things in the way. Complete system has to have about three dozen parts or more.

Big pieces off the top of my head

1- Thermactor tubes - two of them one drivers one passenger side - both reproduced (with 16 attaching pieces)

2- Two check valves (one for each thermactor tube)

3- Thermactor pump (66-67 style) with correct pulley for your application

4- Alternator and thermactor pump mounting bracket   with two adjusting area (different depending on time of year)

5- Thermactor air cleaner - attaches to pump - Style and where it mounts depends on time of year

6- two port gulp valve and mounting bracket - attaches to the rear of the intake manifold

7- Various hoses, clamps, and other hardware depending on if the car has air conditioning and other features.

Can't remember if the distributor changes but the carburetor does (from the non- Thermactor applications
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:15:33 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline silver7

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:12:46 AM »
WOW , thanks Jeff didn't realise how complex it was, Just had a look and yes i see all the plugs in the head, What was the reason most people removed the  pollution gear ? More power or less drama Thanks again for the insight and information

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:09:16 PM »
WOW , thanks Jeff didn't realise how complex it was, Just had a look and yes i see all the plugs in the head,

Yes not something your going to change overnight

What was the reason most people removed the  pollution gear ? More power or less drama

It was thought to rob horsepower though most test showed less than 5% but it was uncool so many drug it off as soon as possible.

I found at time some cars ran better with it so I gave up and left it on a number of cars.

With more interest in being original and maintaining values more owners now want to add it back - unfortunately pieces are harder to find since few kept the cast off's.  Have allot of 67 Shelby's owners I deal with every year trying to obtain the pieces and return the systems to their cars (some pieces shared with your system)  because the Shelby VIN's include coding to show if your car had the system making it more difficult to hide
Jeff Speegle

Offline silver7

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 02:38:04 AM »
Jeff ,are some of the pieces the same as that on a 289 or are the pieces required from big block applications  thanks again for your assistance

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 05:04:47 AM »
Jeff ,are some of the pieces the same as that on a 289 or are the pieces required from big block applications  thanks again for your assistance

Other than clamps, the "T" for the large hoses and the air filter (depending on when the small block car was built) I can't recall anything off to th etop of my head. - pump different number of attachment tube though you could run with one plugged off, valve has different number of attachment tubes, head tubs different, different pulley....
Jeff Speegle

Offline silver7

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 01:39:22 AM »
thank again Jeff for  the info the hunt begins !!!