Author Topic: 69 Dearborn Mach 1 Coil Spring Color Code  (Read 2597 times)

Offline G Wood

69 Dearborn Mach 1 Coil Spring Color Code
« on: December 23, 2012, 07:48:33 PM »
According to one of the Mustang reference guides I have, it states the color code marking for a 69 Mach 1 with PS and a 390/4 spd should have yellow and tan paint codes to identify the spring. Can anyone confirm this is correct prior to me applying the paint.

Thanks
65 Caspian Blue Fastback C Code, 11/4/64 SJ Build
70 Boss 302 9/29/69 Dearborn Build
12 Black GT500 SVT Convertible

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Dearborn Mach 1 Coil Spring Color Code
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 02:02:48 AM »
According to one of the Mustang reference guides I have, it states the color code marking for a 69 Mach 1 with PS and a 390/4 spd should have yellow and tan paint codes to identify the spring. Can anyone confirm this is correct prior to me applying the paint.

Bet you have one of those "Mustang Detail guide/handbook" don't you ???? :)   Based pretty much on (well allot of it) the 72 or 75 version of the Illustrated parts Guide so it can include allot of the part marks from the service replacement parts rather than the originals since the book also reduced the number of parts so that dealers and the parts supply warehouses didn't have to carry as many parts in inventory. Those are the paint marks I was using in the mid 80's
 I've deducted for many of the paint marks suggested in that little book so I would not recommend it to a friend or client ;) 

Unfortunately I don't have a 69 390 4 speed Mach I buildsheet to help us and my Illustrated Parts Guide in that section stops at late 67 .

So right this moment, you can always add them later but applying what might possibly be incorrect marks makes you responsible IMHO for anyone that sees them and copies them, we have little to help us. Just a thought

As a thought the paint marks the book offers match a 351 Windsor FMX non ac for part of the 69 production. Seems odd to me that these would be the same springs as they originally installed on a big block car with a performance transmission. Would have thought it might be one of the 428CJ front springs but at this point I can't say with certainty

Sorry can be of more help at the moment
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline G Wood

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 11:31:53 AM »
Jeff:

Thanks for your response. Yes, the codes are found in the 64.5-73 Restoration guide. I'll hold-off for now until someone can point me in the correct direction. I appreciate the help.

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 02:48:24 PM »

Thanks

Gary according to the 69 Ford build sheet decoder ,Code V ,C7ZA-5310-V front spring color is YELTAN.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 05:49:48 PM »
Gary according to the 69 Ford build sheet decoder ,Code V ,C7ZA-5310-V front spring color is YELTAN.

Thanks Bob - handy set of documents to have :)

Odd they choose such a light spring (or heavy for the windsor) but apparently they did
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline G Wood

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 11:22:30 AM »
Thank you very much for the information - have a Merry Christmas.